Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

can i use ICE in VB6,CB5 and C?

i just need to transfer message,but i have much language and compilers: c,visual basice 6,c++ builder: :confused:

can i use ICE in visual basice 6? if i can't do that,how about: VB6->COM->ICE?
can i use ICE in C++ builder 6? if i can't do that,how about: CB5->COM->ICE?
can i use ICE in C? if i can't do that,how about: C->.so or .dll->ICE?

thanks!

Comments

• Yes and no...

You can use Ice with VB.NET out of the box, no problem.

You can use it with VB6 if you are willing to write marshaling stubs for the Ice entry points you need to use. Seeing that doing this is a lot of work, I guess the honest answer is "no, not really."

Cheers,

Michi.
  • bad news?

thanks for your reply although it seems a bad news.Maybe i can't use ICE in my project. :p
  • This depends on what you mean by X->COM->Ice. You can definitely use Ice in a COM object or a shared library. If you want to build a COM object or shared library that uses Ice in its implementation then that shouldn't be a problem. If your question is "can I use COM to access Ice directly" then the amount of work you would have to do would make this impractical and the answer would essentially be "no". It really depends on what it is you want to do.

Cheers,

Brent
  • it shouldn't be a problem.

thank you,beagles.
    the most difficult thing is my poor english. :D

My task is:
    I already have several softwares which are written in visual basic 6,c++ builder 5
    and C. Now,i want to write a message queue server using ICE and those software send message to my message queue server.As known,i can't using ICE directly in VB6 ,CB5 or C,so i use VC7.1 and wrap these c++ code depend ICE in a COM object .As a result, those softwares just need to visit the COM object.
    This is my "X-COM-ICE". :)

It shouldn't be a problem? :)
  • It shouldn't be a problem :)

Cheers,
    Brent