Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Installing (or building) Ice on Suse 9.3

I'd like to try Ice (we use Corba/ORBit now) and see it has RPMs for downloading/installation. Probably because they are intended for Fedora and not Suse, I get the following errors:

lance@lns:/var/downloads> sudo rpm -Uhv ice-2.1.2-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libcrypto.so.4 is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libdb_cxx-4.2.so is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libreadline.so.4 is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libssl.so.4 is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libstdc++.so.6 is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3) is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4) is needed by ice-2.1.2-1
lance@lns:/var/downloads>

I'm running Suse 9.3 professional, fairly stock:

lance@lns:/var/downloads> uname -a
Linux lns 2.6.11.4-20a-default #1 Wed Mar 23 21:52:37 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
lance@lns:/var/downloads> cat /etc/SuSE-release
SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586)
VERSION = 9.3

I believe my option is then to build Ice, but after following the directions, I'm faced with build errors:

lance@lns:/var/downloads/build/Ice-2.1.2/src/Freeze> make
c++ -c -I.. -I../../include -DFREEZE_API_EXPORTS -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall -D_REENTRANT EvictorI.cpp
In file included from ../Freeze/EvictorI.h:16,
from EvictorI.cpp:10:
../Freeze/ObjectStore.h:22:20: db_cxx.h: No such file or directory

and I have similar problems trying to install Berkeley DB to get db_cxx.h:

error: Failed dependencies:
libstdc++.so.6 is needed by libdbcxx4.2-4.2.52-6mdk

What am I doing wrong? Should I pursue getting an RPM installation to work (preferred), or a build of Ice?

Thanks, -Lance.

Comments

• Please add a signature to your post. See http://www.zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1697 for further details.
  • Marc
    Why don't you broadcast that new support policy to all your present registered users via email? You can also consider automatically sending that email when a new user registers (you know, as a part of registration confirmation email).
  • Well, there is always a fine line between "spam" and informational emails. No matter what we do, someone will complain that either we do not send enough emails, or that we send too many.

I agree that we should change the email for new registrations. But I first have to find out how :)
  • Ice on Suse?

Okay - added signature - still stuck trying to figure out how to get Ice on Suse 9.3. -Lance.
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi Lance,

If your source build of Ice has made it successfully to the Freeze directory, then you've already got most of what you need to complete the build. I suggest building Berkeley DB from sources, making sure to run configure with the option --enable-cxx (and --enable-java if necessary).

Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Thanks

Ice is now built (after a few hand-tweaks) and working well - thanks.

And the documentation is fantastic - very well done!

I'm enthused about the possibilities of using Ice - hoping someday there's a way I can install Ice on our machines without having to build or copy it by hand. We are using a mix of Suse 9.3 and RedHat 9.0, neither of which accept the Ice RPMs I found to download. But for right now, it's an amazing package and I'm enthused to be trying it.

Thanks, -Lance.