Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Compiling demos on Mac OS X 10.4.2

I've just started experimenting with Ice for possible use in a robotics project. I successfully compiled and ran the demos on Linux but am having trouble linking under Mac OS X 10.4.2. When I run make in the demo directory, I get the output below. I've set up the environment variables correctly, as far as I can tell, so I don't know why the linker is complaining.

% make
making all in IceUtil
making all in workqueue
rm -f workqueue
c++ -Wl,-executable_path,/Users/claude/Applications/Ice-2.1.2/bin -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -L/Users/claude/Applications/Ice-2.1.2/lib -o workqueue WorkQueue.o -lIceUtil -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
typeinfo for IceUtil::NullHandleException
typeinfo for IceUtil::ThreadSyscallException
typeinfo for IceUtil::Thread
typeinfo for IceUtil::Exception
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [workqueue] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Welcome to the forums! Which compiler do you use? The Mac OS X binary package was compiled with GCC 3.3 so you should use it to compile the demos (you can select which GCC version you want to use on Mac OS X with the gcc_select utility).

We don't support GCC 4.0 which has a bug that prevents Ice to compile. GCC 4.0.1 fixes this problem but it's not publicly available yet on Mac OS X.

Let us know if this doesn't help!

Benoit.
  • Gcc 3.3

Thanks for the advice. I used gcc_select to switch to version 3.3, as you suggested, but I still get errors:

Default compiler has been set to:
    gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)

% make
    making all in IceUtil
    making all in workqueue
    rm -f workqueue
    c++ -Wl,-executable_path,/Users/claude/Applications/Ice-2.1.2/bin -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -L/Users/claude/Applications/Ice-2.1.2/lib -o workqueue WorkQueue.o -lIceUtil -lpthread
    ld: Undefined symbols:
    __ZNSt15_List_node_base4hookEPS_
    __ZNSt15_List_node_base6unhookEv
    __ZTIN7IceUtil19NullHandleExceptionE
    __ZTIN7IceUtil22ThreadSyscallExceptionE
    __ZTIN7IceUtil6ThreadE
    __ZTIN7IceUtil9ExceptionE
    make[2]: *** [workqueue] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 1
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Did you do a "make clean" before to run "make" again after selecting the new compiler?

Benoit.
  • make clean

"make clean" worked. Sorry, that was a silly mistake. All the demos are working now. Thanks for the very quick responses.

Claude