Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Feedback on an article about multithreaded design of a game engine

I' ve just read a very interesting article about the multithreaded architecture of a new "not yet existent game engine" on http://harkal.sylphis3d.com/2005/08/10/multithreaded-game-scripting-with-stackless-python

I would be interested in getting your opinion about the division of each elements of the game (objects) and how does they can run 'in pseudo-parallel'. I've not yet done anything with IceC/IcePy so I don't even really know if Ice implements this part of if it's the developer's work.

Thanks for your answers,
Luc

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    I'm sure this is a very interesting article, but I'm afraid nobody here at ZeroC currently has the time to review and comment. We are too busy with the next Ice release.
  • Now hat Ice 3.0 is released, could anyone from the ZeroC team comment on the article link I posted. I'm mostly interested in comments about the event handling technique (no multithreading) described, that is, each object being in a "virtual" thread, having its own "life" and sending events to other objects, which would be nearly impossible to achieve if using real threads.

Is this something that Ice is managing or is this beyond Ice framework libraries?

Thanks,
    Luc
  • I'm sorry, but we really don't have the time to comment on this article. If you would like us to provide advice about certain game programming techniques, then we can do this as commercial consulting services. Please contact us at sales@zeroc.com in this case.