Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Backwards compatability of Ice 3.0?

I'm embarrassed to say that we are still using 1.4. I'm assuming that since IceGrid is a "replacement" to IcePack and IcePack is no longer listed as an Ice component on your web page, that 3.0 is not backwards compatible to 1.4? Was looking for documentation on IcePack -> IceGrid migration. Is there such an animal -- .e.g in the 3.0 manual? Is the API and deployment support fairly different than IcePack? Are there other major differences, besides feature enhancements, between 1.4, v2 and 3.0? (Feel free to point me to documentation that addresses this specific issue if it exists.)

As an aside, since you updated your web pages a while back, you cannot scroll properly using Mozilla for many of the pages. Something you might wanna pass along to your web people, although they probably know this already.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• brian wrote:
    I'm embarrassed to say that we are still using 1.4. I'm assuming that since IceGrid is a "replacement" to IcePack and IcePack is no longer listed as an Ice component on your web page, that 3.0 is not backwards compatible to 1.4? Was looking for documentation on IcePack -> IceGrid migration. Is there such an animal -- .e.g in the 3.0 manual? Is the API and deployment support fairly different than IcePack? Are there other major differences, besides feature enhancements, between 1.4, v2 and 3.0? (Feel free to point me to documentation that addresses this specific issue if it exists.)

Ice 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with older versions, meaning that you could use an old IcePack version with Ice 3.0 (instead of using the new IceGrid).

The IceGrid and IcePack APIs are quite different, so there is no binary compatibility, only protocol compatibility.

For a complete list of changes in Ice 3.0, please have a look at the file CHANGES that is included in the Ice distributions.

There is a short migration guide for IcePack to IceGrid in the manual. Of course we can also offer consulting services for more complex migration issues.
    brian wrote:
    As an aside, since you updated your web pages a while back, you cannot scroll properly using Mozilla for many of the pages. Something you might wanna pass along to your web people, although they probably know this already.

Thanks for pointing this out, I will forward this to our Web designer.
  • brian wrote:
    As an aside, since you updated your web pages a while back, you cannot scroll properly using Mozilla for many of the pages.

Hi Brian,
    I'm having a hard time reproducing your scolling issue with the new webpage style using mozilla ( or any other browser on various platforms ) Could you give me more details such as version of mozilla, platform,.. (etc)
  • I'm using Mozilla 1.4 and the problem is there, for example, in the current window I'm using to type this. The vertical scrollbar is solid and getting clipped. I use Page Up and Page Down to move up and down.

Brian
  • Ice 3.0 is fully backwards compatible with older versions, meaning that you could use an old IcePack version with Ice 3.0 (instead of using the new IceGrid).

Okay, but is IcePack being "deprecated" -- i.e. "should" Ice users migrate from IcePack to IceGrid as soon as possible since it is a "replacement"? I noticed that IcePack is no longer listed on the web page showing Ice components...

Thanks again,

Brian
  • I definitely recommend to upgrade, as IceGrid has more features and is easier to use than IcePack. You also get nice tools, like the graphical user interface for IceGrid, which you don't have for IcePack.