Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

questions about windows services

hi,there,
I have once installed glacier2router as a windows service and start it successfully three months ago, but today failed. I also tried icepath2server and a home made server ,failed too. The error code is 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
I am not sure what's wrong with it because I have updated my ice from 2.1.2 to 3.0.0 and during these months, the windows itself also was updated by microsoft.
Do you ever meet this problem?

Thanks in advance.

OrNot

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Did you enable the event log for your services and checked the Windows event log if there was any warnings or errors?

To enable the use of the Windows event log for your service, you need to set the Ice.UseEventLog property to 1.

Benoit.
  • hi, benoit,
    I enabled Ice.UseEventLog to 1 ,but no outputs in app. event log.Together With the error 1053, there is an error message (event ID 7009) ,which said a timeout when waiting the server to begin(30 seconds.)
    It seems too short to connect the service control.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Could you give more information on how you registered the service? Please also make sure that the local system account has permissions to access to the service you want to run as well as its configuration file if you're using a configuration file.

I just tried to install IcePatch2 as a service and didn't get any troubles, I used the following commands:
      C:\> mkdir icepatch2_download
      C:\> icepatch2calc icepatch2_download
      C:\> icepatch2server --install IcePatch2 --IcePatch2.Endpoints="tcp -p 10000" --IcePatch2.Directory=C:\icepatch2_download

Benoit.
  • hi, Benoit
    I tried the glacier2router with the chat demo:

To run the demo, first start the chat server:

$ server

In a separate window, start the Glacier2 router:

$ glacier2router --install GRouter --Ice.Config=D:\Ice-3.0.0\demo\Glacier2\chat\config.glacier2

$ glacier2router --start GRouter

now failed with error 1053.

(can you start your icepatch2server sucessfully?)
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Mmm, this works for me. However, I had to change the permissions on the configuration file to allow the local system account to read it. I also had to change the relative paths in the configuration to absolute paths.

Could you try the instructions I posted in [post=6840]this post[/post] and see if it helps (replace Ice-2.1.2 with Ice-3.0.0 in the instructions)?

Btw, yes the icepatch2server starts successfully.

Thanks,

Benoit.
  • hi, Benoit,
    I changed the permissions from local system account to administrator and then worked.
    $%$^%^&$.... . I don't know why. I tried in another pc with OS windows 2003, local system account is OK. Very Strange.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    FYI, I was able to reproduce this error 1053 today. It turned out that one of the DLL the icegridnode.exe executable depended on wasn't accessible to the "Local System" account... After changing the permissions on this DLL, I could start the icegridnode as a service. I suspect you're having a similar problem and I recommend you to check the persmissions on all the DLLs icegridnode.exe depends on.

Hope this helps,

Benoit.
  • hi, Benoit,
    Can you reproduce this error with icepathc2server in win2000?

I can get rid of this error by

control panel->admin. tools->services-> icepatch2server property page->
    login tab-> change the local system to administrator.

But, do you know how to achievet this by console commond because I want to do like this in program:

int status;
    status=system("icepatch2server --start PatchServer ");

Thanks a lot.
    OrNot
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Yes, I'm able to reproduce the error 1053 with IcePatch2 if I change the permissions of one of the DLLs the icepatch2server.exe depends on. The problem goes away if I give the local system account the permissions to read the DLL.

For example, to give read acccess to the system account on all the DLLs from the Ice 3.0.0 directory you can use the following command:
    C:\Ice-3.0.0\bin> cacls *.dll /E /G System:R

Hope this helps,

Benoit.