Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

issues about IceGrid?

When a few of servers deployed by IceGrid, IceGrid can automate the distribution of server executable. But when one of server appears problems, such as server core down, if IceGrid can automate identify the server and don't distribute request.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. If a server fails and if its activation mode is "on-demand", it will be re-activated automatically when a new request from a client comes in. If its activation is "manual" it won't be re-activated. In addition to this, IceGrid in Ice 3.0.1 has a new feature that allows you to automatically disable the server if it fails (see section 36.18.4 in the Ice documentation).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi,

No, you don't understand what I said. I means if one of servers don't response the request, such as blocked etc. result in the dead of server but the process is still on, so the IceGrid can't re-activated it. In order to get back the server I must kill the process or do other thing. So, at this time the IceGrid can identify the server dead and don't transport request to it.
    :confused::confused:
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Yes, if your server misbehave (e.g.: doesn't answer a request because of a deadlock), the client request will just hang and IceGrid won't kill the server, you have do it manually. IceGrid can't figure out this kind of misbehavior (the request could just be very long to process...).

Even if it could indentify such a dead server, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to still let things running as normal... won't this dead server cause more issues in your application? The best is to fix your server to make sure it doesn't hang :).

Cheers,
    Benoit.