Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Using ICE in .NET 1.1 && .NET 2.0

Since the date when the ICE supports C# for .NET 2.0 is uncertain, I wonder, whether it is possible to write client-side in .NET 2.0, so that it communicates seamlessly with the server-side objects written in .NET 1.1?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Dmitry,

If you have been able to successfully build Ice for C# with .NET 2.0, then you can certainly use that in your clients to communicate with .NET 1.1-based servers. The Ice protocol is independent of any platform or language, which is what allows us to support all of the various language mappings.

Good luck,
    - Mark
  • mes wrote:
    Hi Dmitry,

If you have been able to successfully build Ice for C# with .NET 2.0, then you can certainly use that in your clients to communicate with .NET 1.1-based servers. The Ice protocol is independent of any platform or language, which is what allows us to support all of the various language mappings.

Good luck,
    - Mark

Thank you, Mark!
    At first sight, it seems that ICE for C# compiles with .NET 2.0, although, some changes have to be made to the source code...
    I'm afraid, I do not have enough time to test it to-day, so I would do it to-morrow. If you are interested in the result, I can publish them in this thread.

Thanks once more,
    Dmitry
  • mes
    mes California
    We've got Ice running in our development tree with .NET 2.0, and it's working well. Please feel free to post your results in case other users are interested.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • mes wrote:
    We've got Ice running in our development tree with .NET 2.0, and it's working well. Please feel free to post your results in case other users are interested.

Take care,
    - Mark

Ho-ho-ho!
    Nice news, Mark! I again feel thirsty for life! :-) ...and it seems .NET 1.1 will soon go off my stage! I'm happy!

So, to-morrow I'd post a concise report about what should be done to compile the subject.
  • mes wrote:

By the way, Mark, do you mean you have C# server objects built with
    .NET 2.0 up and running?
  • ICE and .NET 2.0

Hi Dmitry,

right after ICE 3.0.0 release we switched to .NET 2.0 as well.
    Our clients and servers are both written for .NET 2.0.

We did recompile the the ICE sources with Visual Studio 2005.

Everything is running very smooth - no problems at all.

The generated sources will produce some warnings for collection classes.
    But I suspect ZeroC is already working on this and we will get .NET 2.0
    slice compilers supporting generic collections - Thank you ZeroC!

CU Tom
  • DeepDiver wrote:
    Hi Dmitry,

right after ICE 3.0.0 release we switched to .NET 2.0 as well.
    Our clients and servers are both written for .NET 2.0.

We did recompile the ICE sources with Visual Studio 2005.

Everything is running very smooth - no problems at all.

The generated sources will produce some warnings for collection classes.
    But I suspect ZeroC is already working on this and we will get .NET 2.0
    slice compilers supporting generic collections - Thank you ZeroC!

CU Tom

Thank you, Tom! Good news! Still, I've heard that there were problems using IceBox for hosting .NET 2.0 servers. What do you personally know about this.
  • hi,

we are not using IceBox - so i can't really tell.
    I suspect the issue with IceBox is: you cannot load .NET 2.0 assemlies
    because IceBox shipped in ICE 3.0.0 is compiled for .NET 1.1.

If you recompile ICE 3.0.0 this should be resolved.

CU Tom