Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

NT4 connection error

Hello all,

I've problem using windows NT 4 and visual studio 6. In fact, i've tryed your example and they doesn't work.

By example, when i launch demo\ice\hello server and client, the client throws an exception: Ice::ConnectionRefused. So i've used the command netstat -a it seems that the server has not open his port.

I've recompiled Ice-3.0.1 (with stl of course) and it is always the same problem

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Jol

Comments

• There is a bug or something like that ...

Ok, most of your example doesn't specify an address for your server. In fact, by default your code associate to the 0.0.0.0 address. So, when the address is equal to 0.0.0.0 you try to find the local address using the function getLocalAddresses ()

However, the WIN32 code in this function seems to doesn't work on NT4 or on my computer (i don't know why).

You try to throw and exception (SocketException) and process it:

//
    // TODO: Warning ?
    //
    It's not really useful :p

I'm sorry but i don't know the winsock API, i'm a unix developer, so i can't provide you a patch to fix the getLocalAddress.

Jol
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Joel,

To make sure there's indeed a problem with your NT platform, could you try to run the hello server and the client with --Ice.Trace.Network=2 and post the traces here?

The traces should show the IPs and port numbers the server will be listening on and you should also see on which IP address the client is trying to connect to.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Also NT4 is not a supported Ice platform. I doubt it's still supported by Microsoft.

Cheers,
    Bernard