Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Packaging of binaries (slice2xxx and runtimes)

Is it possible to repackage the binary downloads on the ZeroC's website so that the slice compilers and the runtimes are provided as separate packages? This will be helpful because I don't always want the C++ runtime, but I need the compilers anyway. For example, when I am doing Java-to-Java or Java-to-C#.

I would be interested in binaries for Linux and Windows both (others may want it for the remaining platforms too), if it's possible.

Regards,
Shantanu

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Shantanu,

Please update your signature; see this post for details.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Hi Bernard,

I have updated my signature - thanks.

Regards,
    Shantanu
  • If you use a Debian derivative you may be interested in the debian ZeroC ICE packages (http://personales.ya.com/fmoya/). Debian policy already suggest to separate all potentially useful components into separate packages.

I hope we will see those packages in Debian some day...

Regards,
  • mes
    mes California
    Is it possible to repackage the binary downloads on the ZeroC's website so that the slice compilers and the runtimes are provided as separate packages?
    It would be possible, and I understand why it would be convenient, but this is not likely to happen anytime soon.

We've tried to provide distributions that are appropriate for most users. For example, even if a user doesn't write Ice applications in C++, it's quite likely that they need to use Ice services (such as Glacier2 or IceStorm) that are written in C++, and therefore they will need the C++ executables.

If you'd like to be more selective about what you need to download or install, you could always obtain the Ice for C++ source code and build only the required executables and libraries. Not everyone will have a C++ compiler, however, so we think the current binary distributions are a reasonable alternative.

Take care,
    - Mark