Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

What happens if Oracle buys Sleepycat?

Comments

• First, can you please set your signature as described in this thread? Thanks.

I don't know anything about Oracle buying Sleepycat. However, should this rumor indeed be true, then I don't see any impact on Ice and our licensing, regardless of whether commercial or GPL. Without going into details, we have a solid agreement with Sleepycat software that allows us to incorporate Berkeley DB into Ice, and to sell such combined product to our customers. This agreement would not be invalidated by any company acquiring Sleepycat software.

One long term impact might be that Berkeley DB becomes even more popular than it already is. Berkeley DB is a fantastic database, and with the backing of Oracle, it might become even more attractive for large companies. In any case, this is of course pure speculation. As I wrote above, I don't know anything about any talks between Oracle and Sleepycat, and I doubt they could tell me about it if I asked them :) But I do know the guys from Sleepycat, and I trust their judgement.
  • marc wrote:
    First, can you please set your signature as described in this thread? Thanks.

I don't know anything about Oracle buying Sleepycat. However, should this rumor indeed be true, then I don't see any impact on Ice and our licensing, regardless of whether commercial or GPL. Without going into details, we have a solid agreement with Sleepycat software that allows us to incorporate Berkeley DB into Ice, and to sell such combined product to our customers. This agreement would not be invalidated by any company acquiring Sleepycat software.

One long term impact might be that Berkeley DB becomes even more popular than it already is. Berkeley DB is a fantastic database, and with the backing of Oracle, it might become even more attractive for large companies. In any case, this is of course pure speculation. As I wrote above, I don't know anything about any talks between Oracle and Sleepycat, and I doubt they could tell me about it if I asked them :) But I do know the guys from Sleepycat, and I trust their judgement.

Well there we have it :eek:

Now when they force you to stop bundling it and instead bundle 10g at $20K/cpu, your distros will only increase in size by 400x.

Just kiddin' man :)
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    i read in slashdot

Oracle Acquires Sleepycat
    Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday February 14, @08:37PM
    from the everyone-getting-a-piece-of-open-source dept.
    Databases Businesses
    Deven writes "Computerworld is reporting that Oracle has just acquired Sleepycat Software (makers of the open-source Berkeley DB embedded database) for an undisclosed sum. Having previously acquired Innobase, Oracle is certainly taking a look at diversity."

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/06/02/15/0018241.shtml
  • Some of our customers told us that they would prefer to use an Oracle database with Freeze and Ice instead of Berkeley DB, because they knew Oracle, but never heard of Sleepycat. Well, now we can continue to use Berkeley DB with its superior performance and make customers happy who insist on using Oracle :D