Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceE Mobile Phone

Hello everyone!

I am going to buy a mobile phone and I would like to develop some small application using IceE. Therefore, I would like know what phone you recommend me and why.

Thank you very much.

P.D.: Please, take into account that I am student and I cannot spend a lot of money.

Comments

• I use a Nokia 6230i, but I can't really advise you on what phone to buy. However, I can point out some requirements and considerations:
    • The phone must support CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0.
    • You will need a phone with a sufficient jar file size limit for your needs. This is not necessarily the same thing as the total memory available in your phone.
    • You need way to get your applications on the phone. Bluetooth or a data cable is preferable to OTA downloads as it is a bit quicker and convenient and doesn't cost the way an OTA download probably would. In any case, you will probably need software from the phone vendor to transfer files to the phone.
    • You will also want to make sure that your GSM/GPRS provider will give you appropriate network access to use your Ice MIDlets.
    • Check for the existence of a development community for the phone type you are considering purchasing. Scan the message archives for any issues particular to that phone. Different phones from the same company can differ quite a bit it in their stability and overall behavior.
    • Get a phone that has an associated development kit and/or emulator that approximates the real thing. You generally cannot debug on a phone, but you can often debug on an emulator.
    Perhaps other IceE for Java developers will chime in with their preferred phone picks!

Cheers