Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceBox or IceGrid?

I've started to write a number of servers that I would like to startup at vrious times on a machine, so I'm looking at IceBox to do that.

It looks like currently it only supports starting up all of the services at one time, instead of being able to do something like "icebox start <service>"

is this functionality something planned for a later release of IceBox or should I be thinking about just using IceGrid? I don't mind using IceGrid, but it's a bit of overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish and I didn't want to wade into setting it all up unless I had to.

Thanks.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

IceBox services are instantiated and started when the IceBox process is executed. It's not possible to load/unload services administratively like you suggest. We currently don't have any plans to implement this but of course if you have a commercial demand for such a feature we could consider implementing it :) Please contact info@zeroc.com if that's the case!

In any case, you could use IceGrid to start/stop IceBox servers hosting your different services.

Cheers,
    Benoit.