Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

No sequences of objects in Ice-E?

Is it not possible to have sequences of objects in Ice-E? Or am I just doing something wrong? For example, attempting to compile the following Slice code:
#ifndef CPB_TEST_ICE
#define CPB_TEST_ICE

module CPBTest
   {
   class Foo 
      {
      int bar;
      };

sequence<Foo> FooArray;
   };

#endif

...gives this error:
Test.ice:8: Sequence `FooArray' cannot contain object values.

However, if I change Foo to a struct, then everything works fine. Is this normal? I couldn't find any mention of this restriction in the Ice-E README.

Many thanks,

chris

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Hi,

Ice-E does not support the the transmission of Objects by value and as a result sequences of Objects are also not allowed.

Regards,
    Dwayne
  • Ice-E does not support the the transmission of Objects by value and as a result sequences of Objects are also not allowed.

Bummer. I was aware of pass-by-value for classes not being supported, but since, according to the README, "it is still possible to use Slice classes in a local context", I figured a sequence of classes in a local context might be allowed. I'd suggest adding something to the README to make this additional restriction clearer.

Are there any plans to change Ice-E to allow pass-by-value for classes someday?

thanks,

chris
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Hi,

I agree, we probably should allow the use of sequences of Objects in Slice as long as they are not being used over-the-wire. We will look into that.

There are no plans to readding passing objects by value to Ice-E, unless of course it is requested by a commercial customer. Even then though it would probably be as a custom version of Ice-E specific to that customer.

Regards,
    Dwayne
  • There are no plans to readding passing objects by value to Ice-E, unless of course it is requested by a commercial customer. Even then though it would probably be as a custom version of Ice-E specific to that customer.

Do you have a ballpark guess for how hard this would be? That is, days or months? We have, or will have soon, a commercial license (my boss has been working out the details with Marc) and it might be something we'd like to consider. Whom should I contact to discuss the feature request more?

thanks,

chris
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    bartley wrote:
    Whom should I contact to discuss the feature request more?

You should direct all questions related to commercial licensing and/or custom development to sales@zeroc.com.

Thanks,
    Bernard