Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Suggestion on Slice documentation

I find it hard to use chapter B. Slice Documentation as a reference. For each interface the individual methods are spread out over many pages and the method names don't stand out enough so it's hard to scan.

Personally I'd prefer Qt/Doxygen style where there's a compact list of methods for each class and details come later (hyper links from the list would be ideal). I'd also put all the relavent properties here as well but you probably have a good reason to keep them separated.

For example:
B.47 Ice::ObjectAdapter
Methods
getName
getCommunicator
activate
Properties
name.AdapterId
name.ReplicaGroupId
Overview
local interface ObjectAdapter
Used By
getName
string getName();

Comments

• We'll have a look whether we can improve this, thanks!

Cheers,

Michi.
  • ice_factory documentation

In 6.14 of the manual, item #5 references the member function "ice_factory". However, no other mention of it is made except for a brief appearance in the section on Freeze.

I'm curious if you could add it to the documentation and perhaps give me a quick idea of how to use it?

Thanks.
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi Caleb,

The ice_factory function is only generated for a concrete Slice class, i.e., a class that does not have (or inherit) operations. The function returns an ObjectFactory object that creates an instance of the generated class. Since Ice does not require an application to manually install factories for concrete class types, there is usually no need to use this function.

Hope that helps,
    - Mark
  • Great information