Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Question about Glacier2

Hello!!

I have seen in the examples of Glacier2 that always one of the arguments in the request from the client to the server is a proxy for a callback object in the client. Currently, I am using stringfied proxies for contact with an agent (this is my first application with Ice), and my question is if I can use the connection between the client (agent) and the server so that the server can use it to do a request to the client, that is, to create a bi-directional connection.

On the other hand, do you recommend me another way of doing this scenario? (Perhaps something similar to the callback example?)

Thank you.

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    I'm not sure if I really understand your question. Are you asking if you can use stringified proxies instead of regular proxies for callbacks? You certainly can, but it is not recommended. See:

http://www.zeroc.com/faq/passingProxies.html

Also, if you use Glacier2, you will always have a bi-directional connection from your client to Glacier2. Your client will not open a connection to your server directly, nor vice versa.

As an aside, you'll find many examples for how to use Glacier2 in various issues of our newsletter Connections.
  • Yes, that was my question. Thank for your answers, I will follow your advices.

Thank you again,
    David.