Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Windows installer

Hi

The windows installer aborts with following message:
Error 1723. There is a problem with this windows
installer package. A DLL required for this install to 
complete could not be run. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor.

I'm using Windows2000 and don't have Administrator privilegs.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Which installer are you using?

Can you try downloading the latest Windows Installer from the Microsoft web site? Here's a download link (note that you can also get it by insalling Visual Studio 8 C++ Express).

This should hopefully fix this problem.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Benoit,

I'm encountering the same error message, when I try to install the full MSI package of Ice 3.1.0. Plus, I feel I'm stuck, because

(a) I am running Windows 2000 (with SP4 installed long ago)
    (b) with MSIexec 2.00.2600.1183
    (c) in VMware 4.5.3
    (d) on a Linux host
    (e) with host-only networking.

Probably, (b) is out-of-date, so I checked the download link you mentioned. However, M$ requires the validation of the target machine "just" for downloading the software. Because of (a) I require (e), so my browser runs on (d). When I save GenuineCheck.exe to disk, transfer it to the virtual machine and execute it there, I get an error message that I should try to re-start it in the browser, which I obviously can't on (d).

I guess there's not much use in scanning the 500+ KB of setup.log created by "msiexec /l*v setup.log /i Ice-*.msi" in this situation.

I "just" would like to use (e) for experiments between M$-client (probably some Java- or Python-Ice-client; the VM has Eclipse 3.0 and ActivePython 2.3 installed) and Linux-host (running Ice servers).

Any ideas? Maybe some other form of packaging for M$? (I do not have VS, so there's no way to compile from source in the virtual machine.)
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Andreas,

I'd recommend to install Ice on another Windows machine, where you have Admin priveleges, and then copy over the installation directory (usually C:\Ice-3.1.0).

Also, could you fill in your signature as described on this post?

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Bernard,

The virtual machine running a legitimate version of Windows 2000 is all that I have left of former experiences with M$ stuff. No dual-boot, no spare hardware, no other Windows machine available. Of course, I have an "administrator" account for the virtual client.

Now that I have downloaded the VS C++ Express ISO image (490 MB) and slipped this into the virtual machine, "setup.exe" informs me that "you have to install Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1". Aaargh!

I give up. Sorry.
  • Not! After scraping the out-dated Eclipse VM (and heaps of MB of useless M$ stuff), I spotted an independent download site for the MSI package, updated another VM with that and with Ice-3.1.0-VC8.msi and ActivePython 2.4.3.11, activated the host-only interface, and moved "Printer.ice" and "Client.py" to the VM.

Then I started the Java-version of the PrinterServer on the Linux host:
    $ java Server --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.1
    resulting in the tracing output
    [ Network: attempting to bind to tcp socket 172.16.151.1:10000 ]
    [ Network: accepting tcp connections at 172.16.151.1:10000 ]

In the Windows VM, I set ICE_HOME, PATH, and PYTHONPATH accordingly, so that the "hello" example worked locally. Then I tried:
    $ slice2py Printer.ice
    $ python Client.py --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.1
    and receive the tracing output
    [ Client.py: Network: trying to establish tcp connection to 172.16.151.1:10000 ]

After several minutes (!), Client.py aborts in line 521 of Ice.py due to a ConnectionFailedException. Hm, shall investigate. Ping works in both directions.

If I try this experiment the other way round, it works!
    [Virtual Windows Client] $ python Server.py --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.129
    [Physical Linux Host] $ java Client --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.129
    and "Hello, world!" is printed in the VM as expected. Great.

Cheers
  • I installed the latest windows installer package and installed the Ice.3.1 with administrator privilegs, successfully.
  • Then I started the Java-version of the PrinterServer on the Linux host:
    $ java Server --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.1
    resulting in the tracing output
    [ Network: attempting to bind to tcp socket 172.16.151.1:10000 ]
    [ Network: accepting tcp connections at 172.16.151.1:10000 ]

In the Windows VM, I set ICE_HOME, PATH, and PYTHONPATH accordingly, so that the "hello" example worked locally. Then I tried:
    $ slice2py Printer.ice
    $ python Client.py --Ice.Default.Host=172.16.151.1
    and receive the tracing output
    [ Client.py: Network: trying to establish tcp connection to 172.16.151.1:10000 ]
    Of course, one has to open port 10000 in the OpenSUSE firewall, i.e., add this port value to FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP in /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2. Now the Python client in the Windows VM can invoke the Java server in the Linux host to say "Hello, world!".

Small update: A much improved effect for host-only networking can be achieved by leaving FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP empty and to set FW_DEV_INT="vmnet1".

Case closed
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Andreas,

Glad to hear everything is now working for you!

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • FYI, I ran into this same problem testing an Ice server on a Windows 2000 Server. The box needed two installations to function as expected.

First, the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe) had to be installed followed by a reboot. Then I installed the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (vcredist_x86.exe) and my Ice application started up fine.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Eric,

What kind of Ice application did you write? A C++ program? Using MFC?

Installing the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable should not be necessary as the Ice installer for Visual Studio 2005 is expected to install the required DLLs.

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • The test application is a C++ console application/service application executable. It worked fine on the development machine (simply had to add the Ice dll's folder to the PATH) but wouldn't start up on the Windows 2000 machine without the two Visual Studio pre-requirements. I didn't try statically linking the project, which might eliminate the vcredist requirements.

This project isn't using MFC. That's next on my testing schedule :)
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    How did you install Ice on your Windows 2000 test system? Using the Ice installer, or you just included a few Ice DLLs in the bin directory of your application?

If you did not use the Ice installer, then I don't see why you need the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable to run your Ice-based application.

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • Ah, sorry, missed the point of your original question.

I just copied the ice31.dll and iceutil31.dll into the destination folder. The MSI redistributable is required because the vc redistributable won't install without it. That's a Microsoft dependency, not an Ice dependency... If you don't have at least version 3.0 of MSI or later, the vc redistributable will throw an error complaining about a missing dll.

There is a much more involved article about Visual C++ 2005 deployment requirements here.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Thanks, it's clear now!

This codeproject article looks like a great help if you want to deploy a VC8 app on Windows 2000.

Bernard