Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Slice2DocBook Manual

Hi,
Just wondered if the slice2docbook manual is avail. to download? I've searched the web site and ice manual and can find no references to it.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Comments

• Our manual is not written with in docbook format. Only a small portion is, namely the reference sections for properties and endpoints, and the Slice documentation. You can find these parts of our manual in our source distribution under the "doc" directory. Note that the Slice documentation is generated during the compilation process from comments in our code.
  • Hi Marc,
    Sorry I think my question was badly worded. What I am really looking for is a manual on how to use Slice2DocBook.

Thanks,
    Martin
  • I'm afraid we don't have a manual for slice2docbook :(

I recommend to have a look at our own Slice code in the "slice" directory, and how slice2docbook is used in the Makefile in the "doc" directory.
  • Thanks Marc. I will take a look.
  • I'll add a section on slice2docbook to our manual.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Hi michi,

Can you please tell me the page, where I can find the silce2docbook description? Besides the sentence, which contains the keyword "slice2docbook", on page 88 of the manual it is never mentioned through the whole document.

Chapter 4 only describes the usage of the slice2html program.

Thanks,

Michael
  • We no longer use or support slice2docbook. If you look back through older editions of the manual, you'll still be able to find the documentation there.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Hi Michi,

In order to generate html documentation from my slice files I use the "slice2html" program. But in addition to that I also need a PDF-Documentation of the slice files.

Please, can someone tell me, what is the easiest way to generate a PDF-document based on my slice files?

Thanks,

Michael
  • Hi,

I have looked through all available PDF ICE manuals from version 2.1.2 to 3.2.1, but I never found a documentation about 'slice2docbook'?
  • Oops, I owe you an apology. My memory was betraying me. It looks like we never documented slice2docbook. We originally used to it to generate some of the appendixes for the manual. Because slice2docbook was only used for that purpose, we didn't write doc for it.

Personally, I can't say I miss it. The idea of docbook is nice, but the practical issues you encounter when trying to render into printed documentation are fairly serious. Basically, if you want professional-quality documentation, automatically rendered printable documentation from docbook just doesn't make the grade. It isn't flexible enough in some cases, and some of the layout issues, especially for tables, are simply unresolved, which is why we abandoned that approach.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Hi michi,

Thank you for your quick answer. In consideration of your experience in 'docbook', I will stop my research to create a PDF document based on the 'docbook' format.

But now, are there any other possibilities / programs in order to create an auto generated PDF-documentation from my slice files?

Thanks,

Michael
  • There are various HTML-to-PDF converters around. I have no first-hand experience with these, but one of those might suit your needs.

Cheers,

Michi.