Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

No slice2java for Linux (no RedHat) at all

I don't have Windows neither Linux RedHat, and there's no way I can get slice2java.
I do not know how to build it from source package because the only reference to slice, has subdirectories
containing Makefile which don't get to compile.
I have even tried to get it from the binary package for RedHat, but as expected, an endless chain of
unsatisfied or even failed dependencies made me leave this way.
Desperate now......can't do anything as long as i don't get slice2java.
Pleaaaase help.
:(

Comments

• Please see this page for information on our forum support policy.

Do not dispair, building the translator from the sources should be straightforward. What Linux are you using and what isn't building for you?

Cheers,
    Brent
  • Using Linux Gentoo

Hi Beagles, to be precise, my Linux is:

Linux herri2 2.6.12-gentoo-r6_test #2 Tue Sep 13 13:28:01 CEST 2005 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

and what i try to build is slice...or so i think because i am not sure as i see this directory structure under slice:

drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 392 Oct 17 12:35 Freeze
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 344 Oct 12 03:53 Glacier2
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 1.2K Oct 17 11:29 Ice
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 136 Oct 12 03:53 IceBox
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 400 Oct 12 03:53 IceGrid
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 168 Oct 12 03:53 IcePatch2
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alvaro users 136 Oct 12 03:53 IceStorm

and what i try is to build Freeze; and what i get is:

Makefile:12: ../../config/Make.rules: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `../../config/Make.rules'. Stop.

certainly lost. :(
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Please read our support policy and edit your signature.
  • Sorry i missed signature, hope it's fine now.

just checking signature.
  • The makefiles in the Slice directories are used to run the Slice to C++ translator. The error you are seeing is probably because you haven't built the Slice to C++ translator yet.

Given sufficient familiarity, you could selectively build specific components. However, I recommend that you simply run 'make' from the source distribution's root directory. For example:

cd ~/mysrcs/Ice-3.1.1
    make

Given even remotely recent hardware, this shouldn't take very long to complete and builds everything there is to build.
  • A colleague reminded me that the makefiles in the slice directories are for [bold]installing[/bold] the Slice, not building them. More coffee is apparently required!

The message indicates that ice/slice/Freeze/../../config/Make.rules does not exist. Did you unpack only part of the Ice distribution? If so, why?

In any case, my previous recommendation is probably still your best bet. Unpack the entire Ice for C++ sources, enter the Ice sources directory and run 'make'. I've built Ice on gentoo distributions many times "out-of-the-box", so I'd be curious to see what problems you run into using the normal build procedure.

Cheers
  • Hello again.
    Ok, i heed your advice and first got the C++ package; so now I've got:

IceJ-3.1.1-java2.tar.gz (as I had before) and Ice-3.1.1.tar.gz downloaded from your download section. In order to build first
    the translator as indicated for C++.

I try to compile the c++ version and it crashes because of lots of undeclared symbols, forward declarations and some
    other in files like SharedDb.h (overall), TransactionI.h and SharedDbEnv.h

I already have BerkelyDB 4.3.9 installed, as gcc 3.3.5 and rest of requirements indicated in INSTALL.

I know i am a medium developer, but being unable to build this software makes feel completely dull.

Any idea please.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    You must provide more details about the errors you get. Please cut&paste them here.
  • Ok. I missed something

just that; i missed indicating BerkeleyDB path at config/Make.Rules.

Now i shall compile my cpp package in order to achieve compilation of java package, that's what i
    really want-.

thanx for your time.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Note that you don't really need to compile Freeze if you just want slice2java. You can stop the compilation process once the directory ice/src/slice2java has been processed.
  • Ok I got it at last, thou my compilation command was

CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/<path_to_berkeley_db> make

as the property berkeleydb.jar correctly set at config/build.properties did not make effect.

that's all folks now is when the truth time comes.

thnx 2 all. :o