Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceGridGui doing weird network things (IPv6 related?)

(If it's relevant: this is all on Fedora Core 6, using the pre-build FC5 RPMS. Java is version 1.5.0_09. I just installed FC6 yesterday, so it's not out of the question that the installation is broken somehow.)

IceGridGUI seems to be doing something weird with networking when it tries to open a file. I'll use the "simple" IceGrid example that's distributed with the IceJ source code; I also saw this problem with my own application too. I changed the config.grid file to add Ice.Trace.Network=2, but otherwise it's exactly as distributed.

Anyway, the problem. Using this sample application, I run java -jar /usr/lib/Ice-3.1.1/IceGridGui.jar --Ice.Config=config.grid; don't even need to start the registry to trigger this bug. When I try to do "File - Open - Application from file" in the GUI and choose "application.xml", IceGridGui prints the following trace message (the final number changes each time):

[ Network: trying to establish tcp connection to 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:49043 ]

I also get a dialogue box in the GUI that says:
Operation on FileParser failed:
Ice.ConnectionRefusedException
error = 0

I have very little knowledge of IPv6, but to me that looks like the IPv6 version of "127.0.0.1" with a different, random port number appended to the end; and given the error message that comes back, it looks like the GUI -- or the FileParser that it's using -- is failing to connect to it. Where is the actual implementation of FileParser that's used by IceGridGUI anyway?

Any suggestions on how to get this to work? I can see if I can get rid of the IPv6-ness in Fedora, but it would be nice if this could be fixed on the Ice side.

Thanks!

MEF

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    hi mefoster

As far as i know Ice don't suport ipv6
  • Solved! (or at least worked around)

I've disabled IPv6 on my machine, as described in this document, and IceGridGUI is now happy -- the network trace now shows that it connects to 127.0.0.1:56967 (or whatever port) while parsing the file.

It would be nice if it didn't get confused like this, though; if Fedora is going to be the main Linux distribution supported (i.e., if you're going to keep providing a yum repository), then it's a concern that Ice doesn't work out of the box on the default configuration of FC6 ...

MEF
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Yes, the presence of IPV6 should not confuse Ice. We are looking into this problem. Thanks for the report!