Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Using ice grid for cold standby

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to use Icegrid to configure a cold standby server node.

For example I have a server running and registered in Icegrid node. This server has already many clients connected to him. Then if the server crash, the next time a client request something it will automatically be redirected to the second server which will be started automatically.

I was thinking of using the replica group defined in ice grid documentation to do so. I have 2 replica servers registered in my Icegrid. But then the problem is coming from the load balancing, since Icegrid will then start both of the servers depending on the load balancing policy and then the clients will use both of the servers in the same time.

It is not really the behavior I am looking for since I just want one server running and the other one should only start and take over everything in case the first one crashes.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Vivien,

It's not possible to do this right now but the upcoming Ice 3.2 will provide a new load balancing type ("Ordered") which allows to do this. The replica endpoints returned for a replica group will be ordered with a configured priority.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • benoit wrote:
    ... but the upcoming Ice 3.2 will provide a new load balancing type ("Ordered") which allows to do this. The replica endpoints returned for a replica group will be ordered with a configured priority.

It is really a powerful feature of IceGrid. Expecting...:)
  • Ok, thank you.

Then any idea of the release date of this 3.2 version of Ice?

I am asking that because I just want to know if it is worth for me to find another way to handle my problem, or if I better wait for this new release.
  • Sorry, we do not have a release date yet for Ice 3.2.