Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

About Usage of freeze in ICE Grid Application

Hi,
I am working .NET environment. In my project the same application(developed in C#) will be in two procesess. One process will be in active state. Another process will be in dead state just acting as back up for the process in activate state, so that we can recover in case of failure of first process. I am planning to achieve this using ICE Grid Mechanism. The Ice Grid will make use of Freeze DateBase to get the transient state of active process in case of failure. But I came to ICE freeze was not implimented in C#. Do we need to have Freeze implimentation in C# for Ice Grid server to transfer controll from one process to another.

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    For IceGrid itself the answer is no the IceGrid daemons are written in C++. However, from your description I'm not sure what you really intend to do. If you intent to write to a freeze database directly from a C# application (which is what you appear to want to do) then you clearly cannot do this since Freeze is not supported in C#.
  • About Usage of freeze in ICE Grid Application

Hi Matthew,
    Thanks for your Quick Response. What my intention is I have two exe files(one is clone to other) which are generated by compiling C# code. These two applications will be registered to IceGrid. In case of failure of one application can IceGrid Transfer control to another. During transfer is it possible for second application to get the state of first application.

Thanks,
    Aravind.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

An Ice client using a given server can transparently and automatically connect to another replica of the server if it crashes. However, IceGrid doesn't provide any facility to allow you to replicate the state of your servers or transter the state of a given server to another one in case it crashes, that's something you'll have to implement.

For more information about replication, I recommend you to take a look at the manual, see for instance Section 2.2.2 (replication and replica groups) and the IceGrid chapter.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hi Benoit,
    Thanks for clarifying my issues.