Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

dynamic balancing policy

Hi,

Im looking into creating and removing replica groups dynamically during runtime,
currently i am dynamically creating the replica groups and this all works nicely, but i need to be able to set their load balancing policy dynamically as well. By default it appears to be just random balancing but i would like to be able to change this to any of the other options, is there anyway to do this?

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Which load balancing do you want to use?

I suppose you're using dynamic registration (by enabling IceGrid.Registry.DynamicRegistration) with object adapters configured with a replica group id to register the replica group, is this correct?

It's currently not possible to configure the replica group load balancing policy for such replica groups (the endpoints returned for dynamicaly registered replica groups are the endpoints of all the object adapters). You can only configure the replica group load balancing policy for replica groups deployed with a deployment descriptor.

Also, note that you can't mix dynamically registered adapters with adapters deployed with a deployment descriptor for a replica group.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Yeah everything is created by enabling IceGrid.Registry.DynamicRegistration. I was looking into using adaptive laod balancing with my dynamic groups but its looking like this may not be as easy as i was hoping.

Are there any plans in the future to allow dyanmic group load balancing policys or is there a severe technical restriction somewhere that prevents this from being an option

If i were to attempt to make my own load balancing policy is there anyway to intercept messages before they are sent out so i can choice which endpoints to use appropriately, id imagine this would be an easier solution than playing with the icegridregistry source.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    We don't have any plans for allowing setting a load balancing for dynamically registered replica groups at this time. I don't think we could easily add support the "adaptive" load balancing as the location service relies on the IceGrid nodes for the load information.

It's also currently not possible to provide custom load balancing implementations.

Of course, if you have a commercial interest in any of these features, we could look into adding them. Please contact info@zeroc.com if that's the case!

Cheers,
    Benoit.