Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ICE C++ on HPUX 10.20 feedback

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to start an ICE project but on HPUX 10.20 (i have no way to change that!).

The supported platforms page says that HPUX 11i is the supported OS level for ICE, thus my question:

Is there any strong issue preventing compiling ICE + thirdparty software on HPUX 10.20?

It would be nICE to have some feedback if some of you has attempted to use ICE in this configuration.

Regards

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Christophe,

I suspect it's going to be fairly difficult. Issues that come to mind:

- POSIX threads; I believe HP-UX does not have real POSIX threads, so you may need to update IceUtil to work with the 10.20 thread package
    - IceUtil Random implementation: I don't think HP-UX 10.20 has /dev/random, even as a patch, so you'll have to reimplement Random somehow.
    - aC++ compiler: You'll need to locate the latest aC++ compiler for 10.20, preferably with -AA support. 10.20 is no longer on the aC++ list (http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,1743,00.html).

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thanks for your quick answer

This is a sad news, considering the whole stuff will then run on an HPUX 11i box (don't ask, don't tell)!