Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Linux distribution for Ice

Hello,

Which distribution of Linux is advised to use Ice ?

I am currently using Fedora Core 6, but their is no repository, and I have display bugs with IceGridGUI.jar

I am in an engineering school, and I working on grid computing. I would like to know where can i find a "IceGrid for dummies". I am able to run IceGrid demos, but, due to IceGridGUI display issue with FedoraCore6, I am not able to manage the grid.

Which distribution of Linux is advised to use Ice ?
Where can I find a "Ice for Dummies"-like tutorial ?

Thanks

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Jean-Damien,

Ice should work on pretty much any Linux distribution, including Fedora Core 6. For the IceGrid Admin GUI, I'd recommend to use the Sun Java runtime environment (and JDK) instead of the Java runtime bundled with Fedora (or RHEL for that matter).

For a quick introduction to IceGrid I recommend the "Teach Yourself IceGrid in 10 Minutes" article: http://www.zeroc.com/newsletter/index.html

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Ice on FC6
    upkanet wrote: »
    I am currently using Fedora Core 6, but their is no repository

I've recently submitted a package of Ice to Fedora, based on the ZeroC SRPMs -- the review request is at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=234612. If you wanted, you could try downloading and rebuilding my SRPMs and then installing them; they seem to work pretty well on my FC6 machine.

Note that my package doesn't include the IceGrid admin tool because it depends on jgoodies which isn't yet included in Fedora either. Also, only the "java2" stuff is there (not the "java5" versions), because in the current version of Fedora the only Java compiler available by default is java2.

Alternatively, you could also download and rebuild the original SRPMs from ZeroC if you just want something that works now (and includes both of the above things).

MEF
  • IceGridGUI ok

Thanks a lot,

IceGridGUI is running very well now, I installed JRE from SUN instead of the GNU one.

Now I'm going to try IceGrid demos using GUI.

Thanks.