Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Java application on Linux Redhat

Hi,

I am a newbie to ICE. So far I have used it more-less successfully on Windows.
I'm not sure what ICE component I need to make the java application run on Linux. For Windows it only needed the ice.jar file to function properly.
I have downloaded the Ice-3.2.0-rhel4-i386-rpm.tar.gz for Linux. Do I need to install the java rpm or include it in the classpath?

Thanks,
-Vladimir

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Vladimir,

Which Linux distribution do you use? You should use Redhat Entreprise Linux 4 for the RPMs from Ice-3.2.0-rhel4-i386-rpm.tar.gz.

If you have the right distribution, you can just install the RPMs from the archive. For Java, you should install the ice-java and ice-java-devel RPM packages and their dependencies. Once the RPM are installed, you'll find the Ice.jar file to add to your CLASSPATH variable in the /usr/lib/Ice-3.2.0 directory. See also the README file installed in /usr/share/doc/Ice-3.2.0.

If you don't have the right distribution, you should download the IceJ-3.2.0 java source distribution (IceJ-3.2.0-java5.tar.gz or IceJ-3.2.0-java2.tar.gz from http://www.zeroc.com/download.html#src) and follow the instructions from the INSTALL file.

Let us know if you need more information!

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Hey,

I'm not sure about the distribution. I'm suppose to deploy the java application,but all they told me was that it's a Linux Redhat.
    Thanks for the explanation! Sure will ask if I need more info!

Cheers,
    -Vladimir