Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice.DNSException

I get an exception Ice.DNSException while running the sample Java client code on Linux machine. The host name which is not resolved is "127.0.0.1" which is the localhost. I checked the /etc/hosts file does have an entry for "127.0.0.1".

Can you please let me know what is the resolution for this exception?

Thanks,
Ashfaq

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hello Ashfaq and welcome to the forums!

Could you tell us a bit more about your environment? Which Java, IceJ and Linux version do you use? Could you post the complete stack trace of the Ice.DNSException? Did you also try to print the proxy from which the exception is raised to double-check its endpoints?

I can't think of any possible reasons for this Ice.DNSException when trying to resolve 127.0.0.1. There's only two cases where it's raised: if the hostname can't be resolved (here it's an IP address so no resolution should be necessary) or if no IPv4 addresses are available for the hostname (again this shouldn't be an issue for 127.0.0.1).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Thanks for your reply Benoit.

I was able to resolve this issue. I was using GNU libgcj for running the client and hence got this error. Once I ran it using jdk1.4.2 standard edition, the problem was solved :)

I feel though that the exception is misleading.

Regards,
    Ashfaq
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    What do you feel is misleading?

There is no possible way that DNSException should be ever raised when trying to resolve 127.0.0.1. This being raised is quite indicative of some very fundamentally broken things with your platform (as you discovered).