Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How to use generatecs with multi-level ice folder structure...

Hi,

I am attempting to use ice (for C#), and I have not been able to understand how to use generatecs.exe with an ice folder structure that is layered. In other words, I have an ice file "base.ice", then I have folders child1, child2, etc... Inside the childn folders, I have childn.ice files, that reference base.ice. They use the folder structure to find it in C++, but it is not obvious to me how to use generatecs.exe to accomplish the same.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• generatecs is a poor-man's make replacement. I added this in desperation, after I found out that Visual Studio for C# was incapable of using custom build steps that invoke an external compiler. generatecs makes assumptions about the layout of the Ice source tree and is not meant to be used for general-purpose application development.

If you want to compile Ice applications that use complex directory structures and also have a dependency on .ice files so they get rebuilt automatically, I suggest you use make rules directly that state that generated .cs file depends on the corresponding .ice file.

Or you could look at the source for generatecs and modify it to suit your needs.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Shouldn't MSBuild (MSBuild Reference) take care of your problem these days?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    No, we use a much better system ;) nmake/make.
  • xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    maybe a cmake module can help to do this CMake Cross Platform Make.
    I studying it for my new project.
  • Matthew

You are probably right. MSBuild is fairly new and unproven. I was just responding to a particular quote of Michi's. In the future, at least for building .NET applications, MSBuild seems to be the way to go.
    michi wrote: »
    generatecs is a poor-man's make replacement. I added this in desperation, after I found out that Visual Studio for C# was incapable of using custom build steps that invoke an external compiler.

Take a look at this: Exec Task