Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

checksums

Section 4.20 indicates that you can include checksum support in your interfaces via code like this:
This type can be incorporated into an application’s Slice definitions like this:

#include <Ice/SliceChecksumDict.ice>

interface MyServer {
idempotent Ice::SliceChecksumDict getSliceChecksums();
// ...
};

I don't have any .ice files in the /usr/include/Ice directory.

Are these instructions out-of-date?

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

The file SliceChecksumDict.ice will reside in prefix/slice/Ice if you installed from a source distribution, or /usr/share/Ice-3.2.0/slice/Ice for an RPM install.

For example, when running the translator with an RPM install, you would do something like this:

$ slice2cpp -I/usr/share/Ice-3.2.0/slice MyServer.ice

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Thanks. Found them just where you indicated.

Please consider adding pkg-config support with pkg-config vars to indicate where these directories are, or roll your own ice-config program to spit out this info. It would help package maintainers (i.e. people who write packages using Ice) who want to do things like rebuild source files using slice2cpp, instead of merely distributing the slice-generated files.

From the perspective of people who wish to write packages that use Ice and then distribute the source code for portable compilation, you really need these bells and whistles. As it is now, maintainers have figure out a way to discern the location of an Ice installation.

The GNU build tools and pkg-config would make it so much easy for consumers of Ice to distribute portable code. You could distribute, e.g. autoconf macros like Ice.m4 and pkg-config files like Ice.pc, so I could do things like:

AC_CHECK_ICE(3.2.0) in my autoconf configure.ac file and

pkg-config --cflags --libs Ice

to produce compilation flags, or even

pkg-config --variable=icefiles Ice

to spit out the location you mention above for compiling .ice files portably.

Phil