Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

icegrid with glacier2 and replicated icestorms

Is this possible to do? Currently I get all of the replicated topic managers and then pick out a topics to view. I think I could skip this if knew that each of the TopicManagers had wach topic in them, but I do not think that is the way the IceStorm works. If I am wrong let me know.

To get the the IceStorm I would need to have the Glacier2 connect to the IceGrid Locator and then forward back to me the messages that I have subscribed to. Is this done the same way that a regular Ice Callback is done in the Glacier2 examples?

The system I am working on has clients that will need to recieve message for 4-5 topics fromt the PrimaryFeed, an IceStorm inside an IceGrid. From what I can tell I need to make the clients connect to the Glacier2 router and then setup their adaptors to look at an indentity supplied by the router. So all of my previous connections, which were directly to the Grid will be made to the router and the router will connect to Grid and then forward the message back and forth.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Tim,
    bigtim wrote: »
    Is this possible to do? Currently I get all of the replicated topic managers and then pick out a topics to view. I think I could skip this if knew that each of the TopicManagers had wach topic in them, but I do not think that is the way the IceStorm works. If I am wrong let me know.

It's not clear to me what you mean here. Can you describe a little more your setup and how subscribers/publishers access topics? Are you doing something similar to the demo/IceStorm/replicated demo?
    To get the the IceStorm I would need to have the Glacier2 connect to the IceGrid Locator and then forward back to me the messages that I have subscribed to. Is this done the same way that a regular Ice Callback is done in the Glacier2 examples?

Yes, your subscriber need to do something similar to the callback client from the Glacier2 callback demo. Instead of calling on the callback server to receive a callback, your client will just subscribe with a topic from the IceStorm service that runs behind Glacier2 to start receiving updates from the topic.
    The system I am working on has clients that will need to recieve message for 4-5 topics fromt the PrimaryFeed, an IceStorm inside an IceGrid. From what I can tell I need to make the clients connect to the Glacier2 router and then setup their adaptors to look at an indentity supplied by the router. So all of my previous connections, which were directly to the Grid will be made to the router and the router will connect to Grid and then forward the message back and forth.

Yes. Once your client subscribes to the IceStorm topic, IceStorm will send the topic updates to Glacier2 which will forward them to your client (note that IceGrid isn't involved here).

IceGrid manages IceStorm services (which are behind Glacier2) and allows your clients to use indirect binding. That is, when your client invokes on an indirect proxy that points to your IceStorm service (e.g.: the indirect proxy DemoIceStorm/TopicManager@IceStormTopicManager or simply the well-known proxy DemoIceStorm/TopicManager), the invocation is sent to Glacier2. Glacier2 takes care of resolving the indirect proxy endpoints with the IceGrid locator and then forward the request to the endpoints provided by the IceGrid locator.

To try this out, I recommend to first try to get for example the IceStorm clock demo to work with Glacier2 (i.e.: change the client to connect to Glacier2 first and subscribe to IceStorm through Glacier2, you can take the Glacier2 callback client as an example for setting up this client). Then, you can try to add IceGrid support.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • I have a replicated IceStorm inside an IceGrid like the replication demo in the IceStorm demos. I have it working for a client and I have multiple publishers publishing to different topics and with different slice types to the IceStorms. I think that I am doing redundant work in ensuring that each TopicManager has each topic. I believe I pulled this out of one of the demos. I just want to make sure that I just have to following the callback Glacier2 demo as a guide for IceStorms and I want to make sure I understand how to integrate the routers into the IceGrid. It sounds like I am on the right track. I have a simple client that I can integrate a Glacier2 setup into and test it out.
  • Benoit,

I setup the clock demo with Glacier2 and it worked very well. I used the SessionServer from the callback demo and all was to be expected. From this I think I get my services to work.

Thanks for the help.