Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Help me with chat without server

Hello.

I have a nice, as i think, idea - create chat without server.
Simply, it means, that everybody in small local network can launch chat application and talk. And there should not be any central computer.

I do not ask you to write programm. But can you simple tell me, what componets of Ice should i use to do it?

In the first look, i think, that i need IceStorm. Tell me please, if it is wrong.
I saw example with publisher-subscriber in IceStorm examples directory. It works good on single computer, but how can i setup the thing, when publisher and subscriber are on different computers?

I work with Java 5 or 6.

Thank you for attention!

Comments

• You may want to read this FAQ. It explains how to run clinet and server on different hosts.

However, if you build a solution around IceStorm, you would not get a peer-to-peer application. Instead, you would simply end up with a centralized solution that uses IceStorm as the central server (instead of a server of your own).

I'm sorry, but I can't explain here how to write applications that are truly peer-to-peer--that is out of scope for the support we can provide in this forum.

Cheers,

Michi.