Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How do I control icegridnode syslog messages?

Hi,

I'm running a deployment which occasionally requires several icegridnodes present on one physical machine. I have the icegridnodes dump their messages to syslog, i.e., my Ice.Config file contains the following line:

Ice.UseSyslog=1

I want to now configure syslog to separate the icegridnode messages for the different deployments. Unfortunately, the only information that I get is program name == icegridnode, and a process number (which changes whenever my machine(s) restart).

How can I add more control to the syslog messages? For example, if I can control the program name for icegridnode, or the syslog facility, or any other part of the syslog message, I can then filter appropriately inside syslog.

The only thing that I found in the documentation is the Ice.ProgramName property, and that doesn't affect the content of the syslog messages.

For reference, I'm using the Ice 3.1.1 release.

Thanks,
Vanco

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Note that we only provide free support on the forums for the latest version, so I recommend to upgrade :). The built-in Ice syslog logger doesn't support specifying an identifier. I'll add a note to our TODO list to improve this. In the meantime, you'll have to write your own logger to do this. See the Ice manual for more information on how to create a custom logger.

Cheers,
    Benoit.