Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Interactive python fail to loadSlice

There is a problem with python in interactive mode. The Ice.loadSlice function fails and terminates abnormally the python session.

I've made my tests with python 2.5 and Ice 3.3b, on a Debian SID i686. Here's an output of a failure example:
test$ ls
test.ice
test$ cat test.ice
module Test {
interface Something {};
};
test$ slice2cpp test.ice
test$ python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Apr 27 2008, 11:46:35)
[GCC 4.2.3 (Debian 4.2.3-3)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import Ice
>>> Ice.loadSlice("test.ice")
>>>
test$

Exits whitout asking anything. And using python as a normal interpreter (non-interactive) it is ok. It's odd, isn't it?

Cheers.

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Oscar,

The most likely reason for this failure is mcpp. Ice 3.3b requires a patched version of mcpp in order to operate correctly. Did you build mcpp with the patches that we supplied, or are you using an unmodified mcpp?

Take care,
    Mark
  • Interesting...

I'm actually using the binaries from debian packages, so i don't know. Nevertheless, which patch should be applicated? I presume that the Debian Developer which made the package will read this... :p

Thanks a lot!
    Oscar.

PS: By the way, the cpp translator has a very minor bug (very, very). When the system username has a 'dot' on it (like oscar.acena), the header has a wrong comment, i.e. if file test.ice is /home/oscar.acena/test/test.ice, this happens:

// Generated from file `/home/oscar.acena/test/test.ice' -> what should say
    // Generated from file `/home/oscar.ice' -> what really says

It's a minor thing, but here it is ;-)
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi,

We provide a patch for mcpp 2.6.4 in our third-party source archive. Note that we expect all of our patches to be included in the upcoming 2.7.1 release of mcpp, which will hopefully be available before we release Ice 3.3.

Take care,
    Mark
  • I'm actually using the binaries from debian packages, so i don't know. Nevertheless, which patch should be applicated? I presume that the Debian Developer which made the package will read this... :p

Actually you weren't using Debian packages. I was not able to release 3.3b packages. They depend on a fixed proguard which has just arrived to Debian and I would also like to build it against the stock mcpp 2.7.1. Besides I need to update the manpages.

FYI I already fixed the pre-release packages available at
    deb http://arco.inf-cr.uclm.es/~francisco.moya/debian ./