Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Build question on Ice 3.3.0 with vs.2005

Ignoring ICE_HOME environment variable to build current source tree.
can't find D:\Ice-3.3.0\cpp\include\Ice\BuiltinSequences.h
can't find D:\Ice-3.3.0\cpp\src\Ice\BuiltinSequences.cpp
why?

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    These files are generated by the slice2cpp slice compiler. Where did you start the build process from?
  • D:\Ice-3.3.0\cpp\
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Was the slice2cpp.exe tool built correctly? Does it run? Do you have all of the required third party DLLs in your PATH?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Is the build actually failing? If not, these messages are expected on the first build since the make rules remove the files prior to running the slice compiler. If the files don't yet exist (which occurs on the first build) then you get that warning.

Regarding ICE_HOME, the warning is telling you that it is ignoring the setting during the build of the sources themselves.
  • slice2cpp.exe exists in bin directory,double click it prompts "application error",have downloaded all third party dlls and unzip them to Ice-3.3.0-thirdparty-VC80\bin and Ice-3.3.0-thirdparty-VC80\lib directories.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    The application error means that the DLLs are not in your PATH.
  • i have installed the third-party dependencies in the right directory,but still has this question.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    I can only repeat myself... Unless you add this directory to your PATH the DLLs will not be found.
  • how can i add the directory to my path?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Note that this forum is for questions about Ice, not general questions on configuring your development environment.

Assuming you are using XP then Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables. In "User variables for <username>", select PATH (or add it if not present), and add the directory in which you placed the third parties to the start of the PATH. It will then look something like:

C:\Ice-3.3.0-thirdparty-VC80\bin;%PATH%
  • Thanks for your answer.but i already added "d:\ice-3.3.0\cpp\bin;D:\Ice-3.3.0-ThirdParty-VC80\bin" to the path and recompiled ,it still cant work and prompt the same words.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    What words? Are you talking about this?
    Ignoring ICE_HOME environment variable to build current source tree.
    can't find D:\Ice-3.3.0\cpp\include\Ice\BuiltinSequences.h
    can't find D:\Ice-3.3.0\cpp\src\Ice\BuiltinSequences.cpp
    why?

If so, as I explained earlier, these are both expected.
  • when i run slice2cpp,get the following error "Error Application failed to initialize properly 0xc0150002",does i lack some libraries for vs.2005?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    That means a required DLL is missing. You can find out which DLL is causing the problem by looking in the Event Viewer. You'll find a message similar to:

"Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

You might find it easier to use the binary installer, rather than trying to build Ice yourself...
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Do you have SP1 installed for VS2005? VS2005 with SP1 is the supported compiler and thus what we used to build the third-party packages provided on the web site.