Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

ICE on AIX 5.3 .

HI,

I could not find Ice for AIX .
Do we see a plan for a port of ICE on AIX 5.3 ?

Thanks and regards
Faiz :)

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Faiz,

Ice was supported on AIX until version 3.1, and you can still download this version from our archive:

http://www.zeroc.com/download_3_1_1.html

It's likely that these binaries work on AIX 5.3; otherwise, you can also build Ice from source.

We discontinued AIX support because we no longer had any commercial customer interested in AIX. If you'd like to revive this support, please contact us at info@zeroc.com.

Thanks,
    Bernard
  • Hi Bernard,

Well I guess that is more of being an enthusiast , I had a feeling it would be great if we could have it on ICE . In fact , in the past I have myself seen three financial institutions in Europe use that and I'm sure they have a lot of internal communication which they do within their servers that should have been in ICE , rather than go the SOAP or Servlet way .

I would like to pick up that thread myself for ICE 3.3 and build it . Just wanted to know about the testing done by you guys there .

Thanks and Regards ...
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Faiz,

We have not tested Ice on AIX since the 3.1 release, so it's likely that you'll need to make some adjustments if you try to build Ice 3.3 from sources.

Unless we have a commercial customer interested in AIX support, we won't re-support AIX. Such customer would also help us define the supported platform (e.g. AIX 5.3 or 6.1?, XLC or GCC?).

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Well its more than that .... :-)

Hi Bernard ,

Well as I said , I'm actually an enthusiast and I would like the dev community to have access to this possibly wonderful product .
    As far as I have seen people, just because they do not have access to ICE (maybe out of their sheer ignorance of it) , they go ahead and start using web-services (though I believe ICE itself qualifies to be a web service) or servlets .

Well I can say that I have access to an AIX 5.3 and xlC box .

I seriously request you to consider this option . I'm coming totally from the view point that ICE is needed by all of us developers doing distributed programming .

Thanks and Regards ...
    Faiz
  • Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately, each additional platform we support adds a very substantial amount of effort for us, so we are not supporting platforms that have very few and no commercial customers.

I'd suggest that you simply give it a try and compile Ice from sources. There is a good chance that very little porting effort will be necessary.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Thanks guys ...

Hi,

That is gonna be a weekend project for me , accept that I might be traveling in the coming few days on business ...

Anyhow , I will keep you guys posted when I complete the exercise .

Thanks and Regards ..
    Faiz