Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Problem with Hello demo

Hi:
I'm a n00b in ICE, and I was trying to do the Hello Demo with c++, but I get the following error:

C:\Ice-3.3.0\demo\Ice\hello>server
server: PluginManagerI.cpp:326: Ice::PluginInitializationException:
plugin initialization failed: unable to load entry point `IceSSL:createIceSSL'

I've been reading in the forum that some people had the same problem, and I tried to follow the many solutions that you have proposed but nothing work.

This are some of the threads I have visit.
http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/1493-run-demo-ice-hello-error.html
http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/1469-two-newbie-questions.html
http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/2607-problem-running-c-hello-example-programm.html
http://www.zeroc.com/faq/incompatibleLIBEAY32.html

Please help me!
I'm using Visual Studio 2005
C++
I use the installer for windows.
There are not old .dll of OpenSSL in my Sys32 folder.
I have already tried to put the .dll of OpenSSL in the folder where my .exe are.
I tried to put my .exe in the bin folder of ICE.
I even reinstall ICE in my computer.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Welcome to the forum!

After installing an Ice distribution and building a demo, typically all you need to do to run the demo is to add \Ice-3.3.0\bin to your PATH. In fact, I just tried it using VS 2005 and it worked as expected. Note however that I did this experiment in a virtual machine running a relatively clean installation of Windows XP.

The PATH does not seem to be causing your problem, otherwise you would get an error about a missing ice33.dll and not an exception from the SSL plugin.

You could try building the demo server in Debug mode and then starting it in the Visual Studio debugger. If you configure the debugger to break on an exception, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the location in the code where the PluginInitializationException is being raised. Let us know what you discover.

Best regards,
    Mark
  • New error

Hi!
    Thanks for the quick response!
    When I add the Ice\bin folder to my Path and rebuild I get a new error, I configure the debugger to break on an exception as mes told me I this is what I get:

'server.exe': Loaded 'C:\Ice-3.3.0\demo\Ice\hello\server.exe', Symbols loaded.
    'server.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', No symbols loaded.
    'server.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', No symbols loaded.
    'server.exe': Loaded 'C:\Ice-3.3.0\bin\ice33d.dll', Symbols loaded.
    LDR: LdrpWalkImportDescriptor() failed to probe C:\Ice-3.3.0\bin\ice33d.dll for its manifest, ntstatus 0xc0150002
    Debugger:: An unhandled non-continuable exception was thrown during process load
    The program '[376] server.exe: Native' has exited with code -1072365566 (0xc0150002).

I'm using SP1 (I read that this may be the problem) so I don't now what is causing this new error.

Thanks again for the help!
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Make sure:
    * you're using the Ice distribution that corresponds to your VS version (2005 or 2008)
    * if you're using VS 2005, make sure SP1 is properly installed! Ice 3.3 requires SP1 for VS 2005.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • bernard wrote: »
    Make sure:
    * you're using the Ice distribution that corresponds to your VS version (2005 or 2008)
    * if you're using VS 2005, make sure SP1 is properly installed! Ice 3.3 requires SP1 for VS 2005.

Cheers,
    Bernard

Ice distribution corresponds :(
    And I reinstall VS 2005 with SP1 :(

I tried to do the hello world program that comes in the documentation and it worked, but the hello demo that comes with the distribution it's still causing me problems...

Any ideas?:confused:
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Ana,

If you build the hello demo in "Release" mode instead of Debug, does it work? (I suspect it will)

> And I reinstall VS 2005 with SP1

The VS2005 SP1 is huge and its installation/re-installation takes a long time. If it was short, then something went wrong!

If you don't have a strong preference for VS2005, it could be simpler to switch to VS2008 with no service-pack. You cam even use the free VS2008 Express Edition with Ice.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • bernard wrote: »
    Hi Ana,

If you build the hello demo in "Release" mode instead of Debug, does it work? (I suspect it will)

IT WORKED! Thanks sooo much!! I was sooo desperate!!! :D:D:D
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Ana,

Great :) .

However ... the most likely reason for your debug server failure is that the Service Pack 1 for VS2005 is not installed properly on your system. The Ice 3.3.0 distribution includes the VS2005 SP1 release assemblies for the Microsoft C++ runtime, but not the debug ones. And here, it sounds like your debug server does not find the debug C++ runtime assemblies.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • It's a little weird because I installed VS2005 with SP1 in my PC (I previously installed in my laptop) and I got the same error...
    I think I'm going to change to VS2008 express edition as you told me...
    Thanks a lot for the help!
  • Hi, I have the same problem of Checho with the difference that I'm using Visual Studio 6.

If I try to run the demo/Ice/hello server and client applications compiled in debug mode I receive the following message:
    server.exe: PluginManagerI.cpp:326: Ice::PluginInitializationException:
    plugin initialization failed: unable to load entry point `IceSSL:createIceSSL'

In release mode all is working ok.

I installed all the Windows XP SP3 patches and Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 6.

I cannot change the Visual Studio version as I need to write some DLL (that will use Ice to communicate with a Linux application) for a Visual Basic 6 legacy application.

Thank you for your help.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Emanuele,

Is this a problem just with IceSSL or with any demo in debug mode?
    For example, can you run the Ice/minimal demo in debug mode?

Best regards,
    Bernard