Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Udpate an IceGrid configuration

Hello !

I am developping an application which use IceGrid. I would like to be able to update the IceGrid configuration, without change manually the XML file. I would like that my application do this automatically (throws command automatically) ? Is that possible ?
For exemple to create a new replica-group, a new serveur template with an adaptor... just with icegridadmin commands.

I read the "administration utilities" in the documentation but I didn't see commands for add objects, just for list and update them.

I discover the IceGridGUI.jar tool, it is possible to do all what I want ! But it is not automatisable, it is a GUI.

The third solution is to developp a tool which will update the XML file and than throw the command icegridadmin "application update file.xml", but it is not so practical.

What solutions are feasible and the best ? Is there any other solution ?

Thank you for your help !
Cheers,
Matthieu

Here my initial XML file :

<icegrid>
<application name="Simple">

<replica-group id="Rserv_point">
<load-balancing type="adaptive"/>
<object identity="affpoint" type="::Demo::Caracteristique"/>
</replica-group>

<server-template id="templ_point">
<parameter name="index"/>
<parameter name="exepath" default="java"/>
<server id="serv_point${index}" exe="${exepath}" activation="on-demand">
<option>Serverpoint</option>
<property name="Ice.MessageSizeMax" value="1000000000"/>
<adapter name="Aserv_point" endpoints="tcp" register-process="true" replica-group="Rserv_point"/>
</server>
</server-template>

<node name="node_serv_point_1">
<server-instance template="templ_point" index="1" exepath="java"/>
</node>

<node name="node_serv_point_2">
<server-instance template="templ_point" index="2" exepath="java"/>
</node>

</application>
</icegrid>

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Bonjour Matthieu,

You can use the same API as the IceGridGUI: the IceGrid::Admin interface defined in slice/IceGrid/Admin.ice. To get a proxy on the IceGrid::Admin interface, you need to create an administrative session with IceGrid (see here for information on how to do this).

You can add/update/delete your IceGrid application using the addApplication/updateApplication/removeApplication methods of the IceGrid::Admin interface. These methods use a number of Slice descriptors defined in slice/IceGrid/Descriptor.ice to describe the updates to apply to an application or to create a new application. You should be able to add/update/remove replica groups, well-known objects using these descriptors.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Oh, wonderful !!

That's exactly what I was looking for !

Thank you, Benoit !

Cheers,
    Matthieu
  • Hello !!

I tried to create an administration session...

#include <IceUtil/IceUtil.h>
    #include <Ice/Ice.h>
    #include <IceGrid/IceGrid.h>
    #include <IceGrid/Admin.h>
    #include <IceGrid/Session.h>

#include <string>

int main()
    {

Ice::ObjectPrx base =communicator->stringToProxy("DemoIceGrid:tcp -p 12000");
    IceGrid::RegistryPrx registry =IceGrid::RegistryPrx::checkedCast(base);
    string username = "foo";
    string password = "bar";
    IceGrid::AdminSessionPrx session;
    try {
    session = registry->createAdminSession(username, password);
    } catch (const IceGrid::PermissionDeniedException & ex) {
    cout << "permission denied:\n" << ex.reason << endl;
    }

return 0;
    }

That the source from the documentation... when I compiled I have an error because the compiler don't know the object "communicator", that's normal !

I tried, as on the server to replace the line with : Ice::ObjectPrx base =communicator()->stringToProxy("DemoIceGrid:tcp -p 12000");

Then I tried : Ice::ObjectPrx base = Ice::CommunicatorPtr()->stringToProxy("DemoIceGrid:tcp -p 12000");
    It compiled, but at the execution there is a IceUtil::NullHandleException error...
    Can you help me ?

Cheers,
    Matthieu
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    You need to create the communicator, which can you do by calling Ice::initialize, or you can avoid that be using Ice::Application. In this case, I'm afraid there is no substitute for reading the manual, and studying the demos. Please look at demo/Ice/minimal, or demo/Ice/hello for some simple demo.