Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice for Python + VS2008?

pchapin
pchapin Vermont, USA
One of my students noticed that the python development materials are not provided with the Ice v3.3.0 VS2008 binary installer. Looking into this, I found a post on these forums from last year stating that Python 2.5.2 (in general) does not support VS2008.

This leads me to wonder if the more recent Python 2.6 does support VS2008 and, if so, should we be able to use VS2008 to compile the Ice for Python development materials in that case? I realize we could just try it, but perhaps someone here knows off hand if it works.

We are building a system with components in C#, C++, and Python using Ice for communication. Our primary development environment for C# and C++ is VS2008. As it stands it looks like we'll need the Ice for Python materials in the VS2005 installer to deal with our Python components. Does that seem like a correct assessment? I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but it might be nice to use the newer Python if possible... or is that just asking for trouble?

Thanks!

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    We'll release Ice 3.3.1 in the near future, and the VS2008 version will support python 2.6 out of the box.
  • pchapin
    pchapin Vermont, USA
    That sounds great! Thanks.