Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Hello Example crash

I tried compiling and running the hello c++ example.
The example works fine, but after a while (about an hour) the server crash.

I'm running on Windows XP sp2, with MSVC8

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    How did you compile the demo? Did you use the projects that came with the installer to build the demo, or did you write a Makefile or otherwise compile it yourself? Is it release or debug?

Were you connected or otherwise using the server when it crashed?
  • I used the helloC.vcproj and helloS.vcproj to compile in Visual Studio 2005.
    I compiled it in debug.
    I started the server and the client executable from two command prompts, sent some commands to the server (to be exact four times d and two times f), which work fine. Then I left the two processes for long time. After a while, the attached window appeared.

The same thing occurred several times.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    I'm trying to reproduce your problem. In the meantime, if it occurs again it would be good to attach a debugger to the server and then press "retry" in that dialog and send the stack traces to help diagnose the failure.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    BTW, something else to check. Have you installed service pack 1?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    I've tried to reproduce your problem but have failed. The hello server has been running non-stop now since I posted my original response. Once you have confirmed the above, we can discuss alternative methods to diagnose your issue.
  • Hi,
    Yes I am running with Visual Studio 2005 SP1.

I attached the debugger and got the following message on the server side:

03/25/09 11:21:40.687 server.exe: warning: datagram connection exception:
    ThreadPool.cpp:664: Ice::BadMagicException:
    unknown magic number: 0xd1, 0x07, 0x00, 0x00
    local address = 0.0.0.0:10000
    remote address = <not connected>
    Assertion failed: buf.i == buf.b.begin(), file UdpTransceiver.cpp, line 117
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

It looks like your server is receiving datagrams from non-Ice clients and this triggers a bug in Ice 3.3.0 which causes the server to assert (note that this is a problem only with UDP, with TCP or SSL the server behaves correctly if an invalid message is received).

This bug has been fixed in Ice 3.3.1 which was released few days ago, could you try it out?

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • The new version has fixed the problem

Thanks