Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Icegrid error setting a direct proxy on Solaris 10.

I'm running Solaris 10 binaries for icegrid and icestorm and my server can't register its endpoints. It gets the following errors:
[ 07/28/09 17:43:30.382 ipasvc: Locator: couldn't update object adapter `ipaAdapter' endpoints with the locator registry:
the object adapter is not known to the locator registry ]
[ 07/28/09 17:43:30.411 ipasvc: Locator: couldn't update object adapter `ipaAdapter' endpoints with the locator registry:
the object adapter is not known to the locator registry ]

Tracing in icegrid shows a user exception.
[ 07/28/09 17:43:30.361 icegridregistry: Protocol: received request
message type = 0 (request)
compression status = 0 (not compressed; do not compress response, if any)
message size = 160
request id = 1
identity = IceGrid/LocatorRegistry-Master
facet =
operation = setAdapterDirectProxy
mode = 2 (idempotent)
context = ]
[ 07/28/09 17:43:30.362 icegridregistry: Protocol: sending reply
message type = 2 (reply)
compression status = 0 (not compressed; do not compress response, if any)
message size = 62
request id = 1
reply status = 1 (user exception) ]

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    What is your icegrid registry & node configuration? Are you using deployment descriptors, or you are expecting to use dynamic registration?
  • You are asking something that I'm not sure I know about but I will show you what I have for icegrid. I created this setup after reading the manual and it seems to work on Linux and Solaris9 for me.

Command line:
    icegridregistry --Ice.Config=$BASEDIR/registry.cfg

registry.cfg:
    IceGrid.Registry.Client.Endpoints=tcp -p 4061
    IceGrid.Registry.Server.Endpoints=tcp
    IceGrid.Registry.Internal.Endpoints=tcp
    IceGrid.Registry.AdminPermissionsVerifier=IceGrid/NullPermissionsVerifier
    IceGrid.Registry.Data=/tilde/basraij/hoth/icegrid/registry
    IceGrid.Registry.DynamicRegistration=
    Ice.Trace.Locator=0
    Ice.Trace.Protocol=0

Server config:
    Ice.Default.Locator = IceGrid/Locator:tcp -h sol10port -p 4061

matthew wrote: »
    What is your icegrid registry & node configuration? Are you using deployment descriptors, or you are expecting to use dynamic registration?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    If you are not intending to pre-register your object adapters or replica groups using deployment descriptors or the IceGrid GUI, then you need to set

IceGrid.Registry.DynamicRegistration=1

in your IceGrid registry configuration.

You can find out specific information on this property at http://www.zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.3.1/manual/PropRef.50.15.html.

If you want to read more about why you might want to use deployment descriptors then check:

http://www.zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.3.1/manual/IceGrid.40.5.html
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Note that the most common way to use IceGrid is with "pre-registration"--you describe your nodes, servers etc. to IceGrid.

Using DynamicRegistration is unusual, and you also loose some features: IceGrid can't start or monitor these dynamically registered servers.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Setting the DynamicRegistration property worked for me.
    IceGrid.Registry.DynamicRegistration=1

The reason I'm using this simple approach is because this is still a prototype (and I'm still learning Ice) and I just needed to get a location service up and running quickly. I agree, however, that preregistration is the better way to go and I plan to read the material on "Using Deployment" that Matthew pointed out at some point before this turns into a real application and switch to using it. Thanks for that link Matthew!

bernard wrote: »
    Note that the most common way to use IceGrid is with "pre-registration"--you describe your nodes, servers etc. to IceGrid.

Using DynamicRegistration is unusual, and you also loose some features: IceGrid can't start or monitor these dynamically registered servers.

Best regards,
    Bernard

Thanks
    -john