Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

How to know what default things are?

Hello,

Is it somehow possible to see, during runtime, what the "default" stuff (for example: protocol and host) of a communicator are?

I searched a lot and the most obvious way:
communicator()->getProperties()->getProperty("Ice.Default.Protocol");
does not work, too bad!

I noticed that all properties are gone from the communicator. Listing the whole property set gives me just the following:
Ice.Config=
  Ice.ProgramName=./client
That is not much information at all!

I feel I could create a dummy proxy then convert it to a string and parse that string, but this is a gigantic hack and requires the proxy to connect successfully!

Is there really no way?

PS: My application inherits from Ice::Application

Comments

• You can call getPropertiesForPrefix with an empty string as the argument and then iterate over the returned dictionary to see all the properties.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Michi, it still looks like there are some values with the logic:
      if ""==properties.getProperty("Ice.Default.Protocol",""):
         useDefault()

rather than having those defaults assigned to the properties instance on initialization:
    $ python
    Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Jun 24 2009, 20:23:29) 
    [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370)] on darwin
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> import Ice 
    ic = I>>> ic = Ice.initialize()
    >>> m = ic.getProperties().getPropertiesForPrefix("")
    >>> m
    {'Ice.Default.CollocationOptimized': '0', 'Ice.Config': ''}
    >>> 

~J.
  • By doing this, I noticed that nearly all properties of the communicator are gone after the initialization (I'm sure they are set before!). That's what I meant by this:
    Pompei2 wrote: »
    I noticed that all properties are gone from the communicator. Listing the whole property set gives me just the following:
    Ice.Config=
      Ice.ProgramName=./client

within the run() method of my overwritten service class, all the properties I give to main() (by command line or programmatically) are gone.
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Properties do not get cleared after communicator initialization. Perhaps you should post the (small/complete/compilable) code you are using to test this so we can take a closer look.
  • Things are getting clearer. While building a minimalistic example to demonstrate my problem, the problem has gone away. I'll look more into this later, now I have to go learn :)
  • Hello,

just to inform you that (as suspected in my last post) the problem was, of course, on my side. I wasn't giving the correct argument vector to the main method of the ice application object. Thanks for the help.