Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceBox service - start/stop

Hi,

Just wanted to get an idea of what is the recommended approach for the lifecycle of an IceBox service.

Obviously the first time start is called I need to do something like this.

_adapter = communicator->createObjectAdapter(name);
_adapter->add(servant, "servantIdentity");
_adapter->activate();

When stop is called, I do

_adapter->deactivate();

When start is called the next time, the server gets a AlreadyRegisteredException but the exception doesn't get propagated to the service.

I was stopping a service from IceGrid Admin GUI and basically unable to start it again unless I restart the ICeBoxServer.

So how is this usually handled?

Thanks
Budyanto

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    The exception is caused by you creating an adapter with a name that is already in use by an existing adapter, ie the adapter created the first time start was called.

There are a couple of things you can do to fix this. First you could change your start method to not create the adapter the second time, but just reactivate it.
    if(!_adapter)
    {
        _adapter = ...
        _adapter->add(...)
    }
    _adapter->activate();

Alternatively, you could leave start as is but instead call destroy() on the adapter in stop which then allows you to later (when start is called) create a new adapter with the same name.
    _adapter->destroy();
    _adapter = 0;

• Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for the response.

I actually had to do the destroy() call in the stop.

I can't just deactivate it and reactivate it in the next start call. It seems that an adapter that has been deactivated cannot be reactivated.

Thanks
    Budyanto
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    That is correct. Once you deactivate an object adapter, you cannot reactivate. You can see the Ice manual for more information; http://www.zeroc.com/doc/Ice-3.3.1/manual/Adv_server.33.4.html