Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

icegridnode lockup on time change

I was debugging some application issues today, and I was changing the system clock around to try and force my issues.

I noticed that whenever I would set the clock backwards, most of the time icegridnode would lock up. I had to kill -9 it in order to make it stop. This is Ice 3.3.0.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, or just a side effect of some internals, but I wanted you to know about it in case it is a bug.

Thanks,
Caleb

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Thanks for the report, that is unexpected! We'll look into it.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Caleb,

I'm afraid I'm unable to reproduce this problem with the IceGrid demos :( Do you remember the steps necessary to reproduce this problem? If you can still reproduce this, the best would be to attach to the IceGrid node process with the debugger and get the stack traces of each thread. This should tell us why the node hangs on shutdown.

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • icegridnode node is not locking up but dropping communication

I have taken over Calebs position, and the issue is still present in both Ice 3.3.0 and 3.3.1. I have been trying to prepare for daylight savings time, and to check our software, I have been moving the system clock backwards and forwards a hour at a time. When moving the system clock ahead a hour it does not have a problem; however, when I move it back, the IceGridRegistry looses connection with the node after about 1 minute. I tried to get a trace of the IceGridNode, but when I restart it, it stops and restarts just fine. Also, when it is restarted, IceGridRegistry sees the node again.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the report. On which operating system did you get this problem?

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Both of the IceGridNode and IceGridRegistry processes where running on Linux.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Is it solved?
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Yes, a fix for this issue was included in Ice 3.4.0.

Cheers,
    Benoit.