Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Dumb Question

I'll appologize in advance for my question. Just attempting to run the demo/bdir example in 3.3.1 w/ MSVC integration, but get an error "Performing Custom Build Step". Then I attempted to run Slice2cpp in a dos window manually, but get the following:
error: Can't open include file "Ice/Identity.ice"
Ice is installed in c:\ice-3.1.1, ICE_HOME points to same, and both the ice home folder and the slice folder are included in the path. Please advise.
Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Andy,

Are you using your own Visual Studio project to build this demo, or are you using the one included with Ice? What error messages are you seeing during the build? And which version of Visual Studio are you using?

The error message from slice2cpp indicates that you're missing a -I option. For example:

> slice2cpp -IC:\Ice-3.3.1\slice Callback.ice

Regards,
    Mark
  • Mark,
    Thank you for the reply. But get the same error using:
    slice2cpp -IC:\Ice-3.3.1\slice Callback.ice
    I'm using vs2005, but at this point do not know if the solution/project files were supplied or I created them. The error is as follows:
    "error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom Build Step"
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi,

If you used the Windows installer for Ice 3.3.1, the file C:\Ice-3.3.1\slice\Ice\Identity.ice should be present. Can you confirm that this file exists?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Yes, the file is located in c:\ice-3.1.1\slice\ice\.
    The only way I can get it to work is copy the slice\ice folder locally, and change from <> to "" in the include statement of the callback.ice file.
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    afcarl wrote: »
    Yes, the file is located in c:\ice-3.1.1\slice\ice\.

At first I thought this was a typo ... it's strange to install Ice 3.3.1 in c:\ice-3.1.1!

Are you sure you're not mixing up two versions of Ice?

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Yes, and that was the default folder name using the "Ice-3.3.1-VC80.msi" file.
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    I've just run the Ice-3.3.1-VC80.msi installer to be sure, and the default installation directory is C:\Ice-3.3.1 (as expected). Not C:\Ice-3.1.1.

Perhaps removing your Ice installation(s) and reinstalling Ice-3.3.1-VC80.msi would solve your problem!

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • You are correct, it is c:\ice-3.3.1 (evils of multitasking). But...only one Ice version installed.
    Thanks,
    Andy