Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceRuby with JRuby

Is it possible to use JRuby instead of "native" Ruby in conjunction with IceRuby? I'd like to kick out Ruby 1.8.2 and use JRuby 1.1b (providing compatibility with Ruby 1.8.5) instead.

Comments

• No, this is not possible. Ice for Ruby uses Ice for C++ as foundation.
  • Thanks, Mark.

Instead of installing JRuby 1.1b, I've backported ruby 1.8.6 from OpenSUSE 10.3 to 10.0 and "gem update" pulls Rails 2.0.0 cleanly.

Cheers,
    Andreas
  • marc wrote: »
    No, this is not possible. Ice for Ruby uses Ice for C++ as foundation.

Can't you just use the Java libraries to work with JRuby?
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Do you mean calling Ice for Java (and the code generated with slice2java) from JRuby? I'm not familiar with JRuby, but it's quite possible that this works, similar to Ice for .NET, which is written in C#, but can also be used with other .NET supported languages, such as Visual Basic.
  • marc wrote: »
    Do you mean calling Ice for Java (and the code generated with slice2java) from JRuby? I'm not familiar with JRuby, but it's quite possible that this works, similar to Ice for .NET, which is written in C#, but can also be used with other .NET supported languages, such as Visual Basic.

Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about. Just taking the lib generated by slice2java and then calling that from JRuby. You could then write a small shim in Ruby to make that implementation more Ruby-esque. Much of what was done for the C++ implementation (which by the way I can not get to work on OSX, hence my interest in JRuby).