Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Eclipse-RCP application and ICE

Hy everybody.

I'm evaluating ICE as middleware to connect a C++ service (a.k.a deamon) and an Eclipse-RCP application (developed by my own) (front-end).

To make this, I would create an eclipse plugin with all ICE libraries (jars) involved in communication client creation. This task could sometime be critical due to some issues related to eclipse plugin structure.

Do you know if ICE jars is easily wrappable in an eclipse plugin ?

Do you know if this plugin is easily integrable in an eclipse RCP application?

Thank you in advance
Enrico

Comments

• xdm
    xdm La Coruña, Spain
    Do you know if ICE jars is easily wrappable in an eclipse plugin ?

I don't anticipate any problem, Ice is well designed and doesn't impose arbitrary restrictions on what you can do, but you need to give it a try.
    Do you know if this plugin is easily integrable in an eclipse RCP application?
    What kind of integration are you thinking about?

Best Regards,
    José
  • xdm wrote: »
    I don't anticipate any problem, Ice is well designed and doesn't impose arbitrary restrictions on what you can do, but you need to give it a try.

What kind of integration are you thinking about?

Best Regards,
    José

I'm thinking to the integration of the plugin built into the eclipse rcp application.

Thank you for your answer, I will try to do it and check if there axists any problem; in that case, I will post .
  • piccinini wrote: »
    I'm thinking to the integration of the plugin built into the eclipse rcp application.

Thank you for your answer, I will try to do it and check if there axists any problem; in that case, I will post .

I've successfully built the RCP plugin and boundled it to helloworld rcp application. I haven't done many testing (I'm a beginner in Ice) but it seems that full compliance between Ice and Eclipse there exists.

If it is usefull I can post sources.

Enrico
  • Can you post the source?

I'd be interested.
    and especially any configuration necessary (run time....)
    Thanks
    Marcel
  • marcel wrote: »
    I'd be interested.
    and especially any configuration necessary (run time....)
    Thanks
    Marcel

Hi Marcel, sorry for the late in response.

The plugin I've made is quite large to post as source (it binds to all ice *.class). Anyway the procedure is very easy (if you are familiar to the aclipse rcp world); you only have to create a new eclipse project as: New Project->Plug-in Development->Plug-in from existing jar archives.

Follow the wizard specifying the ice jars and every thing should work.

You can use the plugin just created inside any other plugin/rcp-app you want.

Tell me if you encouter some problem.

Enrico
  • Got it

Hi Enrico,
    I got it working.
    I had indeed a problem with the Ice.jar path.
    Thanks
    Marcel
  • marcel wrote: »
    Hi Enrico,
    I got it working.
    I had indeed a problem with the Ice.jar path.
    Thanks
    Marcel

Would you like to describe it better? I will try to help you.
  • working now

It is working now.
    I had a wrong path for the Ice.jar for the runtime. I didn't set it correctly when creating my original plugin project.