Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Visual Studio 2008 Plugin - Slice2cpp not triggered

Today I have installed Ice 3.4.1 on a Windows XP SP2 machine and included ice bin path in system environment variable.
This distribution should have installed the Visual Studio Plugin.
The following development platforms are installed on my machine: VS6, VS2005 SP2 and VS2008 SP1

I loaded demo solution from ice distribution into VS2008, tried to build Icestorm.counter.server and Icestorm.counter.client and failed.
Compiler is not able to load Counter.h and Counter.cpp - they do not exists.
According your documentation saving the ice files should trigger slice compiler and some output should be displayed in output window. Nothing happens.

Including ice bin path in VS2008 VC++ Directories (exe file) does also not solve the problem.

How to solve the wrongdoing?

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Guenter,

Welcome to our forums!

Could you confirm that you extracted the demos (from the zip file) into a suitable directory, such as your home directory (and not C:\Programme\...)?

Did you load demo.sln and try any other project?

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Yes, i have extracted into a directory not located in c:\programme.. path
    I loaded demo.sln and tried to compile different projects.
    Slice compiler had not been triggered on all 6 projects (ice.value.server, ice.value.client, icestorm.clock.publisher, icestorm.clock.subscriber, icestorm.counter.client and icestorm.counter.server) I have tested.
  • When starting slice2cpp from command line all file are created.
    I seems, that slice compiler is not triggered from within Visual Studio
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Can you confirm that you are not using Visual C++ 2008 Express? The express edition doesn't support plugins. In theory, the Slice files should be compiled when the projects are loaded after opening the solution. Did you check if there were any messages in the Windows Event Viewer that could help diagnose the issue?

I tried installing Ice in C:\Programmes to ensure that the Slice plugin still worked if Ice wasn't installed in "C:\Program Files" and it worked fine (I was using a US version of the OS however, I didn't try yet with a non-US version).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • hi,

I use Visual Studio 2008 Professional SP1. As you can see in my first attachment the plugin has been hooked in Visual Studio menu and Ice cofiguration dialog is working.
    Last Windows event viewer entries are dated before starting Visual Studio.
  • OS is Windows XP SP2 German with various hot fixes.
  • It seems, i have a similar problem.
    I am using VS 2008 SP1 in German, OS Windows XP Professional SP3 in German.
    The "Ice Tool for VS 2008" had worked before. In last Months, i didn't use VS 2008. It cann't be trigged now, Although I have setted the "Ice Tool" in tools. The ICE files cann't be transformed into CPP files automatically anymore.

I think, 2,3 months before, when it still worked, it worked also not everytime. If i added the ICE files, without starting the "ICE Tool" before it, then i had to build a new project again. Because if i forgot starting the "Ice tool for VS 2008", before i added the ICE files into the new project, if i deleted the added Ice files, started the "Ice Tool for VS 2008" and added the Ice Files again into the the same project, the "Ice tool for VS 2008" couldn't be trigged anymore. So every time, if i have made this fault, i have built a new project again and started the "ICE Tool" and added the Ice files into the the project. Then the "ice tool" worked. But now, i don't know why. It just cann't be trigged anymore, whatever i do.