Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Message selector implemetation for Java

Hi,

I have question regarding message selector implementation in Java. Can we do dynamic message selector with Ice in Java?

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Vijayalaxmi,

Welcome to our forums!

I am not sure what you are referring to. Ice offers a lot of flexibility for both client-side operation invocations and server-side dispatch.

Perhaps you're looking at implementing some form of "dynamic" servant, that has no compile-time knowledge of the Slice definitions used? In this case, please read the Dynamic Ice chapter in the Ice manual, in particular the section entitled "Dynamic Dispatch using Blobject".

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Hi Bernard,
    Thanks for your reply.

Let me explain more on the question I have with some example.

e.g. I have single publisher and multiple subscribers. Publisher is publishing person details as data on single topic. Person data contains {firstname, lastname, age, city, county, company} information.
    Now there are multiple subscribers who want to get the person data from the same topic but with some message selection on it.. They do not want to listen to all the person data what publisher is publishing. Some subscribers are interested in listening to only person data have city=xxx, where as other subscriber is interested in listening to data with company=xyz.

One of the solution on subscriber side is - to listen to publisher topic and get all data from the topic. then manipulate the data for required condition, say city=xxx. But in this case, the subscriber is also listening to redendent information, and then have to manipulate the received data.
    The other solution is to create multiple topics at publisher end to send data with criterias. That will be topic1 for subscriber1. topic2 for subcriber2. But this case leads to bandwidth issue where publisher is sending same/similar data on multiple topics.

So my question is -
    is there any way where subscibers can only listen to the data (with certain criteria) to publisher -publishing on single topic. Is there any way we can add this message selectioin on the topics on subscriber end.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    IceStorm is the general solution for publish/subscribe with Ice. However, IceStorm does not support message filtering. As with most of our features, if this is of commercial importance to you we could add it. If you are not interested in that, then you could certainly implement it yourself.
  • Thanks Matthew.
    Could be please let us know when is the earliest we can get this implementation added for meesage filtering to Ice?