Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceStorm observer(s)

I'd like to see one or several Observer interfaces for IceStorm similar to the ones which exist for IceGrid.

The information I'm looking for is mostly in the trace messages for Topic and TopicManager: subscribe/unsubscribe, topic creation, subscriber errors, etc.

One piece of info I currently miss and would like to see: the endpoints of the subscriber (I can only see the UUID in the traces).

The main application I have in mind: a tool to see the current state and history of an IceStorm server (command line and/or graphical). Without something like this it's hard to debug our distributed wireless system which relies on IceStorm for data distribution.

Thanks for listening,
Alex

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alex,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Including the subscriber's endpoints in the IceStorm trace message should be straightforward.

Adding observers to IceStorm - plus a client app - will be of course more work.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thanks Bernard,

The observers would be of great help even without the client app. Of course you'd probably want to test them somehow so maybe it's not such a big workload reduction for you.

As a side note, we currently use the IceGrid Observers and are very happy with the design, it's powerful yet very easy to use.

Cheers,
    Alex