Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

VS2010 ICE Addin

I had to reformat my computer after a power outage during a system restore messed my system up beyond repair. Now I am trying to reinstall everything and while I am at it upgrade some of my programs. First of all I installed VS C++ 2010, then installed ICE. The VC Ice plugin didn't come up in the context menu above the projects properties.

I did some research into the issue and I installed VS 2008 express then uninstalled ICE. Upon installing ICE again the ICE config option stilled didn't come up in the context menu. I then got a copy of VS 2010 professional installed it uninstalled ice then reinstalled and still ICE Config isn't a option in the context menu.

Doing some more research I looked and in the ICE's bin folder there is both
IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2008.dll
IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2010.dll

However in the Visual Studio 2010 addin folder there is nothing.

Folder paths:
C:\Users\James\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins
C:\Program Files\ZeroC\Ice-3.4.1

Not sure what other paths would be helpful to have.

Also my system is Vista Home edition I believe.

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi James,

We released an update of the Visual Studio add-in, for both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010; see http://www.zeroc.com/vsplugin.html. I recommend you install this update on top of your Ice 3.4.1 installation.

Let us know how this goes!

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • I forgot to mention it but I have downloaded that plugin and installed the update after installing ICE each time.
  • The Express editions of Visual Studio 2008/2010 do not support add-ins, so you'll have no luck there.

For the Professional edition the ICE installer should install the following:
    C:\Users\James\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins\Ice-VS2010.AddIn
    C:\Program Files\ZeroC\Ice-3.4.1\bin\IceVisualStudioAddin-VS2010.dll

Similar story for VS2008.

When Studio starts up it reads the XML files in "Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins" to find the location of the add-in DLLs to load. So if the .AddIn file mentioned above is missing, then you've got problems.

Another way to check that the add-in is installed is the Studio "Tools | Add-in Manager ..." menu. It should appear in the list in the management dialog and it should be enabled (checked). You will only see ICE menu items if the add-in is enabled. If the add-in is enabled then you should see the "Tools | Ice Configuration ..." menu, although it may be greyed out if there is no active project.

The ICE installer only installs the add-in if a supported version of Studio is installed. If you now have Visual Studio 2010 Professional installed, then a re-install of ICE should get you where you want to be. Note that a "repair" of ICE might not be sufficient.